PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use water sensors or alarms?

Paradox009
04/21/2008, 02:26 PM
I have this ongoing nightmare that I will come home to my tank having flooded my place. My tank is set up to have failsafes..etc, but there always that feeling that something can always go wrong.

Ive looked into water sensors or alarms that will actually call you. Has anyone used these or just he ones that make an audi alarm if water is detected? Id like to know if you feel they work well and are worth it?

Im looking at this one in particular.

http://www.comforthouse.com/polhearratmo.html

Savas
04/21/2008, 02:30 PM
I use three cheapie "Water Dog" alarms from Home Depot that are $12 each. It has siren that rings if it gets wet. It works well.

The only flood I had though happened while I wasn't home though...

Paradox009
04/21/2008, 02:53 PM
Good to know. A friend told me he had one years ago that was really cheap and would go off due to humidity. I just want to make sure this doesnt happen because if I get a call and drive home to a false alarm, Id probably have a heart attack heh.

Savas
04/21/2008, 02:58 PM
Mine has never issued a false alarm, but if has gone off when I spilled some water on the floor during a water change. Mine are small enough to hide around the stand and surrounding furniture. They take 9 volt batteries and easy to maintain.

dogstar74
04/21/2008, 03:15 PM
Have you ever considered getting a dog?

No really, something MAY happen. Often times in this hobby things DO happen. All you can do is work hard to minimize the probabilities, and leave the rest up to Murphy.

I personally can't see the benefit of an alarm, but if it makes you feel better. Go for it. It seems like a really small investment in your piece of mind. Truthfully though, nothing will set your mind at ease as much as regular maintenance. Keeping things clean and running well, will do wonders to avoid problems. That's when you notice salt creep, that's when you see drips, etc.

But hey that's just my .02. So go buy that alarm, and get out there and cross the street.

Paradox009
04/21/2008, 04:13 PM
I have a dog and am incredibly diligent with maintaning my system. Im not worried about slow salt creeping leaks. Im worried about the times in which Murphy's law does occur and some accident occurs even beyond all my fail safes, float switches..etc...

With 180 total water volume, I want to catch it as soon as I can if something is to occur.

dogstar74
04/21/2008, 04:18 PM
While there was a little bit of teasing associated with my last post, It wasn't as mean spirited as it reads. Sorry if there was any offense.

I clicked the red house, and your tank does look stunning! What an interesting project to undertake. I hope it works out for you. I know the cuttle fishes are very intelligent. And they're kinda cute too!

Cheers
Aaron

Paradox009
04/21/2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks! no offense taken!

Although its an anthropomorphic observation, every time I notice one of the cuttles making a really cute face..it always ends up being one of the females!