PDA

View Full Version : can snails cary ick or any other diseases?

jubjub
04/21/2008, 05:17 PM
question i need to add some to my cleanup crew and i usually avoid petco livestock but its my only option in a 45mile radius....

so if i got snails there and dump them in should i have any problems? and i know not to dump the water in the tank. also i was going to get some cheato there as well would i have problems with either or?

jubjub
04/21/2008, 06:13 PM
bump?

woogy
04/21/2008, 06:34 PM
yeah...double bump...I would like to know too. I don't want to support my LFS for many reasons but need more escargot

RyanMKintz
04/21/2008, 06:57 PM
Ich should only survive long term on fish not on inverts

EllieSuz
04/21/2008, 08:00 PM
Please don't "Dump" your snails; they need acclimation even more than fish.

tmz
04/21/2008, 08:00 PM
Snails can't host ich.

jubjub
04/21/2008, 09:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12381042#post12381042 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woogy
yeah...double bump...I would like to know too. I don't want to support my LFS for many reasons but need more escargot

i acclimate everything...it was just a figure of speech..but cool that they dont cary it...

bertoni
04/21/2008, 10:09 PM
Snails can't host ich, but they might have a few parasites along for the ride, as short-term resting spots. I wouldn't trust them to be disease-free, personally.

Fishfirst
04/22/2008, 08:45 AM
any water whatso ever on the snail could introduce parasites to your tank...

taillonjohn
04/22/2008, 10:17 AM
ick travels in wetness. only fish can actually get ick, but anything wet will carry the ick virus from tank to tank. (snails, live rocks, plastic plants, powerheads, etc....). BUT, if the ick virus doesnt find a fish host in 28 days, the virus will die.

tmz
04/22/2008, 02:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12385211#post12385211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by taillonjohn
ick travels in wetness. only fish can actually get ick, but anything wet will carry the ick virus from tank to tank. (snails, live rocks, plastic plants, powerheads, etc....). BUT, if the ick virus doesnt find a fish host in 28 days, the virus will die. :( I generally agree but thinkk the risk with snails is very small for ich parasites. BTW some cryptocaryon cysts can live for 72 days.

Fishfirst
04/24/2008, 04:15 PM
also ich is not a virus but a parasite

mollymonticello
06/07/2008, 12:00 PM
Ich does have a benthic life stage, so it could potentially be introduced by a snail's shell. It's not common and I wouldn't worry about it unless the snail came from a heavily infested tank. And like Fishfirst said, the free-swimming lifestage of ich could be introduced with the water. When in doubt, quarantine everything.

VacavilleFC3S
06/07/2008, 01:36 PM
wow another person in vacaville,

go to vallejo aquarium, there amazing and everything seems very healthy, petco is garbage and they have to clue on how to take care of saltwater critters, i was in there the other day and half the tanks had severe cyano bloom. or sea of splendor in fairfield. try your hardest not to buy from the petco/petsmart because they have no clue whats going on and almost all there stock is unhealthy.

i just started my first 20g sw tank 5 days ago so i'm waiting on my first cycle to start and i don't plan on giving either of those places any of my money

rjsilvers
06/07/2008, 03:54 PM
Ich only exists as a free-swimming parasite for 1-2 days before needing to find a host or die. To be doubly certain, do not dump any water the snails were shipped in into your tank.

As molly mentioned, it -could- theoretically be introduced on the snail shell as a trophont, but that would be rare as well. And you only have to worry about this if the tank the snails came from had fish in it. And the fish had ich. And they were collected during the trophont stage of the lifecycle (6-8 days out of the 6 week cycle).

nsinger
06/07/2008, 06:20 PM
I am pretty sure that my CUC collection of snails and crabs that I introduced into my 90 gal FO caused an outbreak of ich within 3 days. I probably did introduce some of the water it came in into my display.