PDA

View Full Version : I'm killing my anemone!!!!!!!!

Tennyson
04/21/2008, 07:22 PM
So my bubble tipped anemone was getting too big for my tank. Around 10 inches long. So I was just going to remove it from its crevice which its been in for maybe 3-5 months.

Well, the crevice was really really deep and it had spread throughout the labrinth of rock. I tried to scrape it off uding my fingernail, but it was almost glued there. I was scraping away so much, I didn't realize I tore the flesh from the bady and ripped parts off from the base and last, made a torn hole in the anemone! :( :( :(

I can't believe how much damage I did to it! It was bleeding mucus all over my hand, but not that much. And the worst thing is, I didn't even remove it from the rock! :mad2:

So will the anemone survive? Its still alive for now, but it looks horrible if you lift it up from the bottom, but the total damage isn't that bad I guess. Just a couple holes in the base and the bottom flesh is completely torn off.

And I think I made it vomet its food.

Will it survive? What would have been the proper way of removing it from the rock?

I just don't know what to say, I'm, blahh. I can't think. :(

heap
04/21/2008, 07:37 PM
if their foot is only on 1 rock, i usually just remove the rock, fill a bowl with tank water, and turn the rock upside down on top of the bowl. leave an inch or two of the foot exposed to air, it'll let go eventually.

ssavader
04/21/2008, 09:05 PM
Tennyon, with as much damage to the foot as you describe, it would seem unlikely that your nem will survive, however, not all nems know they're suppose to die if their foot gets torn- so, just keep a close eye on it and hope for the best. Keep your water quality as best as possible. With all the mucus likely lost as a result of the injury, you should consider a water change and new carbon for a few days.

reefman13
04/21/2008, 09:11 PM
Definitely doesn't sound good. Pictures would def. help in telling you whether to keep it in and try and save it, or take it out because it will die and foul up the water.

But for future reference, NEVER use your nails to take an anemone off a rock, only if it is attached to glass or another smooth surface do I recomend trying that.

Other wise they way heap mentioned works, or point a power head at it, it will start moving away, and you can get it while it is moving.

E.J. Coral
04/21/2008, 09:16 PM
If anything would survive, it would be a BTA. If you leave it in thetank whereit is established, I thing survival is a strong possibility...

TurboGuru
04/21/2008, 09:20 PM
point a powerhead at it or I heard rubbing its foot with an ice cube will make it let go but i never tried it.

petoonia
04/21/2008, 10:00 PM
I wouldnt try to move it at this point, you will only stress it out even more. Just leave it for now. If it heals completely attempt to move it again using one of the methods suggested above. I've found the powerhead trick usually works pretty well.

I would also suggest a water change as soon as possible!!!

Tennyson
04/22/2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone, yeah, I did a water change on sunday, but will do a new one maybe today or tomorrow.

The anemone is actually doing good and is looking the same before I did all that damage.

I checked on the cuts and scratches last night, and they actually werent that bad. I guess all that mucus got me scared. I didn't actually tear a whole through it, I just put alot of pressure on one spot and I ended up squishing its poop every where and that looked like a hole I guess.
So theres only a small rip in the foot and two smaller ones on another side, so I think it will survive.

Would the ice cube trick work? Any other idea's for how to remove it from the rock?
Of course, I will try this after it heals, but the damage doesn't seem that bad.

I will try to post pics later.

reefman13
04/22/2008, 08:21 AM
I would not try moving it again, for at least a week after the cuts and injuries have disapeared.

Tennyson
04/22/2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah I know.

I tried to get a pic of the damage, but its covered up by the tentacles and I don't want to move it, so I will try to draw a picture of the damage on photoshop and post it that way.

Tennyson
04/22/2008, 09:07 AM
OK, heres the damage:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/175285Dying_Anemone.jpg

The bottom left part is the rest of the foot hidden in the crevice.

reefman13
04/22/2008, 09:12 AM
Okay, doesn't look too bad. But, yeah, just let it be for a while.

Tennyson
04/22/2008, 03:09 PM
so when it does heal, what method should I use to get it off? Would the ice cube thing work? I don't really want to point a power head at it because that would stir up alot of dust.

ssavader
04/22/2008, 08:37 PM
Tennyson, can you simply remove the entire rock that it is attached to? This is your safest bet.
Also, look at the post by "heap". Sounds interesting but I have never tried it.

Tennyson
04/23/2008, 09:22 AM
Sorry, I can't remove the rock, its small enough to remove, but its piled under much heavier rocks. Moving it would require me to move all the rocks to get it off.

If I could take the rock out, I would. But thanks.