PDA

View Full Version : Semi-New Tank Suggestions/Help

footbagger311
04/21/2008, 06:54 PM
So I have a 29G reef tank and I really wish I bought a larger one from the get go. I set up the tank back in Dec of 2007 as a fish only tank but converted it to a reef tank in February of 2008. But here is what I have and I'd like to add more corals:

29G Glass tank
130W PC Light (65W fluorescent/ 65W actinic)
MarineLand Penguin Bio-Wheel filter, Rite Size B
Grounding Probe
PS 75 Protein Skimmer
Heater
2 Koralia pumps

maybe 40 lbs live rock
Tongue Coral
candy cane coral
mushroom rocks
zoanthids
toadstools
star polyps
gorgonian
tree coral
bubble tip anemone
sebae anemone

4 clown fish
1 royal gramma
1 mandarin
1 yellow watchman goby
1 coral banded shrimp
1 halloween hermit
6 reef hermits
2 nassarius snails
3 cerith snails
1 sea hare
1 brittle star
1 red reef star

I'd like to take some pix but I can't get them to come out nicely with my camera. I have a canon powershot A95. i have taken pix on my cell and they look pretty nice so i just may upload those pix until i can get decent ones with my camera.

if ya'll have any suggestions or anything useful, let me know.

Thanks

kau_cinta_ku
04/21/2008, 07:54 PM
wow that tank is stoked to well. 1st the 4 clowns, givin time you will end up with 2 only due to they will pair up and kill the others. so i would only stick with 2 clowns of the same species.

the mandarin unless eating prepared foods will starve to death in that small of a tank. along with the 2 starfish unless you spot feed them.

you have enough LR in the tank so you can take off the biowheel unless you are using it just to run carbon but even still take off the biowheel part (nitrate factory) and make sure to clean the filter every 2 weeks or sooner.

the halloween hermits from what i understand are not very reef safe.

the anemones will need to be spotfed about 3 times a week with silversides or raw shrimp. the lighting should be ok for them.

what size Koralia pumps?

btw [welcome]

kau_cinta_ku
04/21/2008, 07:56 PM
also can you list your water parameters.

ammonia
nitrate
pH
temp
cal.
mag.
alk.

footbagger311
04/21/2008, 08:54 PM
lets see, the last time i tested the water about a week ago, they levels were as follows

Calcium: 480 ppm.
ammonia: 0
nitrates: 10
nitrites: <1.0
ph: 8.0
phosphates: <1.0
temp: 78-80 degrees.

kau_cinta_ku
04/21/2008, 09:37 PM
your phosphates are way high. i suggest you start running phosban or some sort of phosphate remover. also you will need to test alk., and mag. also as you already have 1 LPS coral (candy cane) and if you want more.

footbagger311
04/21/2008, 09:43 PM
i always see the mandarin eating things around the tank but i'm not sure what it is. and about the clown fish, i am still trying to determine which two hang out together the most because right now they all hang together. i am considering transferring everything into my 46 bowfront tank although it is not much larger. but the thing with that is that i don't want to get rid of the fish in there because i like them too much. i wish i knew how addictive this hobby was before i got into it. but that tank is FOWLR and a couple of larger hermits. if i had more money and i didn't live in an apartment on the third floor i'd get a much bigger tank tomorrow.

footbagger311
04/21/2008, 09:47 PM
i have some phosguard that i use and that reading i gave was incorrect, the correct one is .3 mg/l.

footbagger311
04/21/2008, 09:48 PM
and the koralia pumps are either size 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. i can't exactly remember.