PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon Eel feeding

yraveh
04/21/2008, 09:04 PM
I hope that I chose the correct forum.
I have a black ribbon eel for 3 weeks. It's about 3 feet long. It eats silversides and jumbo krill.
I am not sure how of ten it should be fed. Can someone comment on that please.

Fishfirst
04/21/2008, 09:11 PM
I would say several times a week... but I have never kept this species only other morays... someone correct me if I'm wrong

Fishfirst
04/21/2008, 09:12 PM
btw congrats on getting it to eat frozen... that is probably half the battle.

yraveh
04/21/2008, 09:58 PM
what's the other half of the battle?
I am exhausted from the struggle I went through to get it eating at all (lots of Guppies, gold fish, ghost shrimps and krill). Then, one day it ate 3 krills, which got me running to buy the silversides.
He ate 3. In the last 3 days it refued to eat, and I can still see the shape of a jumbo krill in its pipe. That made me wonder about the frequency of feeding.

Moonstream
04/21/2008, 10:14 PM
IMO I would offer food every day (1 krill or silver side on a feeding stick) let it stay in the tank for 15-10 min and then remove if still uneaten. continue process until it eats. I havent heard much about people keeping ribbon eels, probably because of their low survival rate. good luck!

snorvich
04/22/2008, 04:49 AM
Try a piece of squid. These animals feed primarily by smell (their eyesight is marginal) and the smell of squid will be attractive. Use a feeding stick. Keep in mind that any other tank occupants will also go nuts for squid. Feed every other day. Good luck, survival rate is poor.

yraveh
04/22/2008, 07:13 AM
I will try that!

Chibils
04/22/2008, 02:36 PM
Most eels that I'm aware of won't eat every day or will often go on "food strikes;" I've read about many people who've had eels go weeks without eating.

But with ribbon eels' survival rate so low, that may be a red flag for you.

Juice It
04/22/2008, 03:03 PM
a few weeks ago there was a great thread on this with a bunch of pics and advice on care and feeding from people that have been having good luck. The search never works right for me but you may have better luck. It was definately in the last 2 months.