PDA

View Full Version : MH lighting Guru's

Fuzznutz
04/22/2008, 07:18 AM
When a bulb "color shifts" due to improper ballast (i.e. running Ushio 14k DE bulb on a m138 instead of an m80) does this mean the bulb is shot or will it be fine once the correct ballast is in place? Also, when a 14k bulb color shifts and produces more yellow, does it then basically just become a lower kelvin bulb with the same par or less par, etc?

Fuzznutz
04/22/2008, 08:54 PM
bump

ahullsb
04/22/2008, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure but I think it would be shot. You are running a double ended bulb on a single ended ballast? If so do you have glass covering the fixture? Here is a good read though...Oh and how do you like your z? I used to have a 1991 twin turbo that I miss "Oh so much."

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php

Fuzznutz
04/23/2008, 04:27 AM
Well, the fixture is the Current USA...and it comes with M138 ballasts, which can run DE bulbs, just not to spec. Anywho, I have leafed through that link before, didn't really see my answer. I hooked up the M80 ballast yesterday and the bulbs do look brighter, but still yellowish...I will do the white bucket test tonight to make sure my water isn't yellow ;)
LOVE THE Z. It is my dream car...funny thing though, she sits in the driveway all the time since I've had kids :( --been thinking about selling her, then I drive her and I grin from ear to ear. She has lots of mods (basically everything except upgraded turbos and manifolds) and only 68k on her...such a fun car to drive!

PaulErik
04/23/2008, 11:25 AM
The bulb won’t get damaged quickly on a pulse start (ANSI M138/M153) ballast. It will just cause an increase in wear versus being operated on the proper ballast (ANSI M80). When you switch ballasts on a lamp the lamp generally requires another burn in to stabilize. The burn in time will vary but usually after a few hours (less than 100 hours) and a few on/off cycles the lamp should restabilize.

Fuzznutz
04/23/2008, 11:53 AM
Cool, thanks!