PDA

View Full Version : Ato

gsxunv04
04/22/2008, 09:59 AM
Hello, I am picking out an ATO system and am interested in this one....
http://www.aquahub.com/store/product27.html

Any comments on this one or recomendations to another system?
Thanks for the help in advance

Shooter7
04/22/2008, 10:06 AM
Love my tunze osmolator. :cool:

TomRep
04/22/2008, 10:30 AM
Agree with Shooter, though a bit $$
tom

gsxunv04
04/22/2008, 04:49 PM
yea the tunze is nice but i was looking to spend a bit less. i was thinking about using an aqualifter with a valve dialed back to a drip. any comments on this?

jetfixr
04/22/2008, 05:14 PM
I was looking at a system similar to this, but decided against it. If a float stuck and I wasn't home it could make a mess in a hurry. I decided to go with the JBJ ATO. It has a saftey feature on it that will only allow the pump to run 3-15 minutes (adjustable). Even with a stuck float if you run an aqualifter or a RO-DI system for 15 minutes the most you could pump would be a couple of gallons.

Kissfan79
04/22/2008, 05:23 PM
Love my JBJ ATO!

Jim

gsxunv04
04/22/2008, 06:26 PM
what do you guys think about setting up a timer(like what we use for our lights) and run the aqualifter for 10-15 minutes a day or whatever is necessary? What sensors does the jbj ATO come with? I looked it up and it just has a picture of the white and blue electronic control module. Do any of you guys have a picture of how you have your jbj setup?

jetfixr
04/22/2008, 08:19 PM
I also thought about going the timer route. As long as you can keep your evap rate constant that would be great. In my area it gets very hot, so I have to factor in how often my A/C kicks on, ceiling fans, and I have a fan over my sump to keep my water cool. Anything that will change airflow conditions in your house is going to effect your evap rate. In addition to this you will also find that as your level drops in your RO-DI resevoir your pump has a bit more head pressure so the water delivery will not be linear. I think I purchased my ATO for $80 a couple of years ago. It has most definately been one of my best purchases. I don't have any pictures of the setup but marine depot has some diagrams on their website. It comes with 2 float switches, but I am only using one for my setup.

Kissfan79
04/22/2008, 08:44 PM
The JBJ comes with the control montior and 2 float sensors. The recommended setup is to put sensor A in your sump return section and sensor B in your top off reservior. Sensor A will detect when the water in your return pump section drops and will turn on the water pump to refill. It does a great job and keeps the water level nice and constant....no swings in salinity. Sensor B will detect when the water level gets too low in your reservior and will keep the top off pump from coming on and running dry. You set sensor A where you want to keep your water level in your sump and you set Sensor B at the bare minimum level in your top off reservior. I didn't think I would really need the sensor B but I have let the water get too low in my reservior before and it saved my pump. The other feature I really like, as some have mentioned already, is the fact that it will automatically shut itself off after 3 minutes of running. This way...if sensor A fails or gets stuck....the control module will only let the pump refill for 3 mintues before shutting it down. Depending on your pump rate.....your sump may hold the entire amount of water and prevent an overflow onto your floor. Here is a photo of the overall setup:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/kissfan79/100_7337.jpg
and here is a photo showing more of the sensor B in my reservior and the refill pump:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/kissfan79/100_7338.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jim

gsxunv04
04/23/2008, 11:25 AM
jetfixr- why you only use one float switch?

kissfan- thanks, just what i was asking for. is that a 10g tank reservoir?

spaceyboy
04/23/2008, 11:28 AM
I have a JBJ on one Tank and Tunze on the other. I prefer the tunze because its a complete kit with pump. I think its worth the extra $$$

gsxunv04
04/23/2008, 12:16 PM
http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=TZ4111

$200 is a bit more than worth the costs of a small pump. is there any other reasons you prefer tunze, besides the customer support?

ErikS
04/23/2008, 01:17 PM
I used a JBJ for three years. It was very good for the $$$. I liked the various configurations possible & the time limit on the pump. I did remove the buzzer as I found it annoying (why EVERY time the pump runs? :lol: )

Sadly it died over the weekend, the relay no longer trips - it's a circuit board = no repair for me. Still, to function that long without an issue is pretty good.

I'm still using the floats, the "wave guard" works great, best I've encountered.

sabbath
04/23/2008, 03:09 PM
I like the lower price and have ones from http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

And http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Auto-Top-Off-Systems/c72/index.html
has one where you wire up the parts they send.

Kissfan79
04/23/2008, 05:44 PM
gsxunv04-Yes that is a 10 gallon reservoir. When I fill it completely....I can get easily a week to a week and a half out of it.

ErikS-The newer models come without a buzzer (YAY!). That was the one thing I was not looking forward to but lo and behold they did away with it. the only thing I hear is when the water is actually being pumped and that noise is only from it hitting the water in the sump. Virtually silent.

Jim

gsxunv04
04/23/2008, 07:35 PM
how does the setup work with only one float switch? i thought it needed one to tell it when it was too low and when it was too high(when to cut on and when to cut off)?

jetfixr
04/23/2008, 11:21 PM
Have a look at this link, check out the mode A diagram, it can be configured a couple different ways.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~dosing_pumps_top_off_jbj_ATO_automatic_top_off_water_level_controller.html

Kissfan79
04/24/2008, 02:22 AM
There are a couple of different configurations. You first set Mode "A" or Mode "B" (I have mine set up in mode "A" as in the diagram on the web link) depending on your preference and the number of float sensors you are using. If you are just using one snesor...it goes in the sump and when the water level drops...it cuts the pump on to top off. If you are using just one sensor and there is no sensor in your reservior you will just have to keep a close eye on the amount of water in your reservior as there will be nothing to keep your top off pump from running dry.

Jim

ohioreef
04/24/2008, 05:30 AM
I use an Aqualifter pump controlled by a single float switch. It is simple and works very well. My resevoir is only 5g so even if the switch would stick Im not going to overflow my tank.

ErikS
04/24/2008, 06:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12396993#post12396993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kissfan79
ErikS-The newer models come without a buzzer (YAY!). That was the one thing I was not looking forward to but lo and behold they did away with it. the only thing I hear is when the water is actually being pumped and that noise is only from it hitting the water in the sump. Virtually silent.
Thanks for the update! I guess they got tired of folks ripping it out...........having it go off every time the pump ran - who thought that was a good idea? :lol:

gsxunv04
04/24/2008, 08:29 AM
ohioreef, what float switch do you have?

CSUPUEBLOTIM
04/24/2008, 09:59 AM
I was also looking into the same "Top it Off" kit , but does the JBJ ATO come with the pump or do you have to provide your own?

Kissfan79
04/24/2008, 10:08 AM
You have to provide the top off pump. This is the one I use:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+14665&pcatid=14665

I use the 606 model and it works nicely.

Jim

cbusreefer
04/24/2008, 12:51 PM
Could always due the easy route if you have your RO plumbed under your sink. I have a float valve mounted on a piece of vertical pvc in my sump. It connects directly to my RO and whenever the water evaps, the valve drops and replenishes the sump. I've had if for a year now and it always keeps my water level at the same exact spot. Much cheaper IMO...

CSUPUEBLOTIM
04/24/2008, 01:46 PM
Awesome. I think I might be investing in the JBJ ATO and the JBJ protein skimmer for my B-day next month. LOL

gsxunv04
04/24/2008, 02:58 PM
cbusreefer, what if you float switch gets stuck and the ro runs on? Do you have a backup switch(higher than the first?)

also, what do you all use for reservoirs?

Kissfan79
04/24/2008, 04:29 PM
Simple 10 gallon glass aquarium for me. Cost me about $9.00.

Jim

ohioreef
04/24/2008, 07:33 PM
I use one of the opaque 5g water containers that Wal Mart sells at their water dispenser. You need to make sure that it is made of HDPE if you are going to store limewater in it. I initially used a clear refrigerator type container found in the housewares aisle. I learned the hard way that limewater eats through that!!

gsxunv04
04/26/2008, 10:02 AM
thanks for the advice, i use hdpe for all my aquarium buckets and containers.