PDA

View Full Version : Having temp issues....

kenyacat
04/22/2008, 02:43 PM
Right now I have a biocube 29 gallon. The inside temp here in PA is around 71 or 72 degrees. Outside today it is under seven. I have been having to turn the fan on every hour or so to keep the heat down. I am running around 84. The heater is turned down now that it is nearing summer. I have a koralina, protein skimmer, phosban reactor, another powerhead and the regular stock pump running. My lights are 130w PC. Running a good 9 to 10 hours because of a Sebae anemone. I do not have the hood that came with the biocube on. It is just egg crate on top.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't include buying a chiller?

I am upgrading to a 75, but it will be the end of June to July before we get the sump built and everything in order. Will I be able to control the temperature better in the 75 since there is more water volume? I am considered using an external return pump just because of heat.

Or am I going to battle heat forever? We do not have air conditioning.

Thanks

papagimp
04/22/2008, 02:57 PM
You "should" be able to control temp better in a larger system. Most aspects of this hobby are easier with larger systems. I do not have Central heat or air either, and what I had to do (keep in mind, I have many many tanks throughout the entire house) I got a small 12,000btu window AC unit and run that in my main fish room 24/7 during spring-fall and turn it off during winter. For whatever reason the AC unit doesn't effect my electric bill much, rarely over $100. Keeps my fish room tanks sitting around 82-84 during summer, which is still okay, and the rest of the tanks, I battle with fans as needed. I try to keep most the SW stuff in the room with my AC while my warmer freshwater tanks get placed in the hotter rooms. But it works. (2 x 75g's in the fish room with window unit)

It's always possible that one of your pumps or other pieces of equpiment are adding alot to the heat, I unplug my heater altogether come summer time. Don't want it accidentaly coming on. Heaters are notorious for being junk without a temp controller. I've gone through many brands already and most at some point or another, have stuck on and started cooking the tanks nicely.

How's the surface movement in the tank? Lot's of ripples and movement going on? Don't want the surface still at all, that surface movement is how evaporation happens and that cools down the water column. just another thought to ponder.

frank2926
04/22/2008, 03:08 PM
how are you going to battle the 80 and 90 degree days in the
Pa area?

If you do not at least have a room ac unit you are going to need a chiller.

kenyacat
04/22/2008, 03:54 PM
How's the surface movement in the tank? Lot's of ripples and movement going on? Don't want the surface still at all, that surface movement is how evaporation happens and that cools down the water column. just another thought to ponder.

Not much water movement at the moment. I have one small powerhead pointed to the top, but it doesn't do a whole lot.

Hopefully in the upgrade this will get better. Also should have more movement since I will have more room. Already have a koralina 1,2 and 3 ready.

[QUOTE]how are you going to battle the 80 and 90 degree days in the
Pa area?

If you do not at least have a room ac unit you are going to need a chiller.[QUOTE]

Fan I guess. I have heard chillers put out a lot of heat into the room, and if it's 90 to begin with, sure don't want to raise the room more than that.

frank2926
04/22/2008, 06:48 PM
a chiller for a 29 gal will not heat the room up that much. The tank will not get more than a degree or 2 lower than ambient room temp .with just fans.