PDA

View Full Version : Crabs Eating Snails.

Imanz0
04/22/2008, 04:26 PM
Well, this morning i wake up, and i see that one of my crabs have killed one of my snails and took its shell. So i was wondering, are they going to eat the dead snail? Because i couldnt find it. (Probably inside my big rock) Anyway, this is a 14 gallon tank, and i was wondering what harm can be done because of this?

GBE378
04/22/2008, 04:36 PM
If you couldn't find the dead snail right away just by looking, you prolly wont find it. It was either eaten or decayed. This has happen to me with both turbo and nassuris snails being eaten by crabs. Just do an extra water change and watch your parameters and you should be fine

mustangbrew
04/22/2008, 04:38 PM
If you don't want to continue to lose your snails put in a variety of different size shells for your crabs to move into when they need a larger one. This doesn't mean that won't kill the snails but it will help. If you can't find it there is a chance that they may have already ate it.

Imanz0
04/22/2008, 04:42 PM
I doubt 2 crabs could eat a whole snail over nights though.

GBE378
04/22/2008, 04:44 PM
You would be surprised what they can do and how fast. They are very messy eaters and if they dont eat the whole thing they certainly picked it apart and turned it to little peices.