PDA

View Full Version : Overall consensus of Glasscages?

Electrobes
04/22/2008, 05:16 PM
I am curious to know the overall consensus on glasscages products.

I have seen many opinions about them about a year ago, but now that I am back reefing (Building it now) I want to know what people think of them now. I am in the market for a 40Br and have given up on Aqueon, and none of the petsmarts around me carry or can order a Perfect 40Br.

Many thanks!

frungkis
04/22/2008, 05:46 PM
From what I gathered from others is that Glasscages make decent tanks as in quality, maybe not the best on the market, but their customer service is not very good.

tufacody
04/22/2008, 05:48 PM
unless you want starphire glass or something custom, why wouldn't you just buy an all-glass or Oceanic? Better warranty and both are excellent products. Probably cheaper and no shipping charges.

scbauer
04/22/2008, 05:55 PM
Just my 2 cents here... I contacted Glass Cages about 3 weeks ago for a quote. They got back to me a day or two later and I was happy. I had a few questions on the quote so I responded to the e-mail. After a week, I sent a follow-up e-mail and got another quick response. Had one final question and asked about the ordering/shipping process... it's been 2 weeks with multiple follow-ups and I've heard nothing.

This seems to be the general concensus... cheap tanks (price), well built, horrible customer service. I guess you can't get all three, right?

If I end up buying from them I'll let you know how everything goes.

-Scott

Electrobes
04/22/2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks scbauer. I guess nothing's changed with them after all ;)

tufacody: Oddly enough I've had enough with Aqueon (AGA). After two tanks from PetCo (In two different states) with failed seams I refuse to buy that brand again. My older 40Br from AGA (Was used) was fantastic, but I wanted a new one because the old one had scratches from the move.

I was planning on making the front pane starphire. Figured that if I went with them might as well get something of a bonus from the purchase :D

I am going to be visiting some LFS on Thursday... maybe I'll have better luck over there (This time I am going to ask if they can leak test it, so I don't have to drive back! :eek:).

scbauer
04/22/2008, 06:09 PM
Oh, and the reason I'm upset about this more than anything is that they will be delivering tanks to a town about 1 hour away from my house this coming weekend. If they had taken the order, I might have had my tank this weekend. :(

plyr58
04/22/2008, 06:44 PM
I've never heard about any serious problems with Glass cages, but for a 40 breeder seems more cost efficient to get one locally than to pay shipping for a tank that small. Just my opinion.

Electrobes
04/22/2008, 06:58 PM
Well 30 bucks for shipping isn't unreasonable (One of their drop offs is in Charlotte). Plus the addition of a Starphire front pane would make the effort worth it IMO. My total would be 135 for the whole thing (Shipping included). I paid 100 bucks for an Aqueon 40Br.. and traveled about 400 miles because of two (Two tanks)failed seams.

But if I find a LFS in Greenville on Thursday that has a 40Br in stock and are willing to water test it I'll definitely take it, heck I might even take an Aqueon if it passes! ;)

mflamb
04/22/2008, 08:12 PM
I love my 390 from them. Two other locals bought large tanks from them and are completely pleased. (poknsnok and reefartist)

widmer
04/22/2008, 08:19 PM
IMO the glass on a 40 breed is so thin that you wouldn't notice any difference if it were starphire or not. I would just chill and watch craigslist for a while if I were you. I personally got a brand new 40 breeder and brand new 30 breeder on craigslist recently for $30 and $20, respectively....

ccorpse27
04/22/2008, 08:38 PM
I have a 65 gallon acrylic from them and it's been just fine. It's a standard size and the fit/finish isn't the best but if it had a canopy and better stand it'd be a nice tank to show off.

I would consider buying another tank from them but would probably go with an oceanic tech tank for my next setup.

stevedola
04/22/2008, 08:56 PM
thumbs up here on my 90g with starfire glass. would do business again.