PDA

View Full Version : My new skunks behavior

varg1
04/22/2008, 08:01 PM
Both of my skunks seem to be breathing rapidly. There mouths are open and shut open and shut all the time. Other then that they are are just sticking around or in my anemone and they rarely are seen outside of it, when they come out they go right back in. Is this normal for them after 3 days to be doing the rapid breathing thing? could anything be wrong? My temp is reading 82, on the strip i have in my tank but i think thats just the light hitting the top of the water, my stealth heater is set to 78...other then that all params are good.

varg1
04/22/2008, 11:20 PM
Come on guys...if something is wrong i want to know, i like these guys alot. BTW ive noticed that its not so much breathing, but there mouths are opening and shutting rapidly. Maybe thats how they breathe idk, but.Dont know if its something they do? or if somethings wrong with them...and I dont see anything on there bodys that would indicate a problem.

varg1
04/22/2008, 11:57 PM
O yeah another question...Do pink skunks like allot of flow? Ive been keeping an eye on them because im worried, and I just put 2 koralia 1's in the tank, one on each end. they aren't in there anemone anymore there both swimming around(this is the first time since i got them 3 days ago that there out of there anemone exploring) there swimming fine for the most part, seems like its a little harder for them to swim though, like a bass going up a current. Do they like that, or should i adjust or take out one of my koralia's? Sorry for all the questions but i haven't dealt with these kind of clownfish or water circulation pumps before lol.

mrbigshot
04/23/2008, 01:39 PM
how long has the tank been up and what are your peramiters? many times rapid breathing is from ammonia buildup from overstocking/ to much at once or an immature tank that cannot handle the load yet (could be durring a cycle as well)

varg1
04/23/2008, 04:12 PM
no ammonia...at all, and there dead.There was no saving them

WDLV
04/23/2008, 04:28 PM
Did you quarrantine your fish before adding them?
Did you do a prophylactic treatment of any kind?
Is your tank cool enough?

If you answered no to any of these you need to get cracking on a remedy tonight. Not tomorrow.

Materials:
10 gallon tank.
AirPump and airstone OR a HOB filter.
1"-2" pvc fittings
Bottle of Amquel
Bottle of Formalin III

Put the fish in the tank with about 1/2 volume of tank water 1.023-1.025. Slowly add fresh water until you reach a SG of 1.009. Your tank should be about full. Fudge the difference.
Add 10mL Formalin III to the tank and 5mL Amquel. If you live in a cool climate or have the AC going already you may need a heater too. Change 50% of the water every day with pre-mixed water at 1.009 SG and be sure to add the appropriate dosage of Formalin III and Amquel. Do this for the first week and twice a week thereafter. Be sure to scrape and syphon off everything from the bottom and sides of the tank to keep cysts at bay. I would do this for at least a month.

Your primary concern is Brooklynella hostilis (brook), your secondary concern is Amyloodinium (velvet), your third concern is Cryptocarion irritans (ick)
The hyposalinity is to make the paracites expand so fast trying to reach osmotic balance that they explode. The Formalin III is the best fight against brook which will kill your fish the fastest. It is a mediocre treatment for velvet and is about the same with ick. If you insist, you can use copper treatment a month from now. Be sure to get all the formalin out before doing this.
The three paracites mentioned above all attack the gills first. That's why you see the fish breathing fast and "flashing" before you see any other symptoms. It is also why fish often die while the aquariest is busy looking up the skin symptoms they just noticed.
Good luck and feed them like you're starving them to keep down Ammonia. If they get a bite or two each, they're fine.

WDLV
04/23/2008, 04:28 PM
I'm too late. :(

varg1
04/23/2008, 04:46 PM
Ok so if they had any of those, what do i have to do to make my main tank clean??? Is it possible that any of those parisites are laying around my tank right now? The only other thing i have in there is a LTA. No other fish.

WDLV
04/23/2008, 05:28 PM
Not only possible but probable.
Keep it fish free for at least 30 days and you should be OK.