PDA

View Full Version : Glass lamination/reinforcement?

Evil Nemo
04/23/2008, 03:44 PM
I am buying an ADA nano tank (17"x10"x12", or so). Because the bottom glass is only 4mm thick and I will be drilling 3 holes for plumbing (2 -1/2" bulkheads, 1-1" bulkhead in the bottom glass) and with the weight of adding live rock I am concerned about cracking the glass. There have been people who have cracked their ADA/nano/small tanks through drilling or tightening the bulkheads.
I was thinking that if I laminated a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" glass to the outside, bottom of the tank I might insure that I have less of a chance of cracking the tank while drilling and mounting the bulkheads. I am, even more, concerned about jostling live rock pieces against the bottom mounted standpipe and returns, thereby leveraging a crack in the bottom.
HERE IS THE QUESTION (finally);
What kind of glue, bonding agent can I use to adhere the 3/8" pane to the outside, bottom of the tank. It does not have to be clear. Silicone, because of it's viscosity would not be ideal, since a closer contact would be stronger. What about cynoacrylic, epoxy or a UV setting adhesive? I am lookin for stuctural integerity and not beauty.
Thanks In Advance!

Evil Nemo
04/23/2008, 08:44 PM
Bump