PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question for SPS

snorvich
04/23/2008, 04:11 PM
For context this is on a 350 gallon tank, mostly SPS, with refugium. I dose Sponge Power, Pohl's Coral Vitalizer daily and AA weekly.

I posted this in the equipment forum as well but I really want the SPS folks to comment if they would be so kind.

Please critique my lighting plan (all fixtures are 400 W with electronic ballasts). I start out with radiums first thing in the morning around 9:30 AM and run them until 7:00 PM. I add Reeflux 10k lights to the mix for four hours (increasing to six hours) in the middle of this cycle. Do you see any downsides to this? I am trying to simulate what happens on the reef with high light at midday. Will I get both color and growth with this plan?

Thanks in advance for any help.

volcom69
04/23/2008, 05:56 PM
I dont see any downside to this at all. I used to run 2-250watt and 1-150watt MHs on my 55 gal till someone said it might be to much light so i cut it back to just the 250s now. I used to have the 150 come on before the 250s, and with yours it seems to be just fine i wouldnt change anything.

Reefsystem
04/23/2008, 06:00 PM
personaly i would never put the lights on in that way. because on the reef that condition only lasts for less then an hour.
In th ecase of coral growth there shouldnt be a problem if all the corals are being exposed to at least 8 hours of light a day

snorvich
04/23/2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks. Since I have a dual fixture and can run two colors simultaneously, I wanted the color provided by radiums and the growth provided by 10K reeflux bulbs. Any other opinions?

Toddrtrex
04/23/2008, 09:36 PM
I like that idea. I am doing something similar on my 58 ( smaller scale of course ). Both are 175 SE, the left side is an Ushio 14K, the right side is an XM 20K. The sides are brighter and darker, but the middle is perfect --IMO -- I am getting good growth, and really love the colors I am getting.

OnlyCrimson
04/23/2008, 09:53 PM
I see no problem there. They should easily be able to adapt to that and the colors will probably be great.

snorvich
04/24/2008, 04:26 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Todd, luckily my fixture overlaps the colors so they are homogeneous throughout the tank. I have often wondered how this will work and the next six months will be a good experiment.

Toddrtrex
04/24/2008, 08:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12399810#post12399810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Todd, luckily my fixture overlaps the colors so they are homogeneous throughout the tank. I have often wondered how this will work and the next six months will be a good experiment.

I am jealous about that Steve, I wish that mine overlapped like yours. I think that it gives you the best of both worlds. Your's it going to look great. With mine, like I said, I can really only notice the different bulbs just at the far sides.