PDA

View Full Version : Using ozone

90glnreeftnk
04/23/2008, 04:31 PM
I want to start using ozone i was gonna use it on a cheaper model skimmer but i keeping hearing about a ozone reactor i dont seem to understand what the purpose of this is because you have to run the water over carbon after it leaves the reactor so it does not get back to the display i thought ozone was to increase skimmate production thus making the water clearer can someone help me understand i am new on this topic??

edwing206
04/23/2008, 04:41 PM
Ozone will damage fish's gills and fins. That's why you have to run activated carbon when it comes out of the skimmer.

90glnreeftnk
04/23/2008, 04:43 PM
yes i understand this but whats the point of an ozone reactor

90glnreeftnk
04/23/2008, 07:38 PM
anybody???

saveafish
04/23/2008, 08:49 PM
If I am right on this the ozone ractor is for using when you can not run it in a skimmer. not all skimmers can handle ozone. Though some even have inputs for this app, If you have a cheap skimmer than use a reactor. other wise run it in your skimmer it will help blow off extera ozone.

zmckenzie
04/24/2008, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12396486#post12396486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edwing206
Ozone will damage fish's gills and fins. That's why you have to run activated carbon when it comes out of the skimmer.

Carbon is not needed. This is something you will see being debated all over the web. From what i have read carbon is not needed because the amount of ozone you are pumping into your skimmer is so little that it will not harm anything. With that said i do not use carbon and i dose ozone through my protein skimmer. I have the red sea ozonizer and redox controller. A few club members i know who also dose ozone do not use carbon either. Just read up on it on the web and make a decision.

zmckenzie
04/24/2008, 09:28 AM
If your protein skimmer is pulling air in via a airline tubing all you need to do is hook up your ozonizer to the pump where the air is drawn in. I have a cheap coralife needle wheel and the ozone has done bounders in the tank.