PDA

View Full Version : What pumps?

reevesymj
04/24/2008, 05:07 AM
I have just ordered a 10x2.5x2.5 (467Gals) and will be running the sump under the floor. The head height will be around 2.5metres. Considerations are obviously water flow, energy consumption, heat transfer and purchase price. Noise maybe not so crucial being under the floor. 2 pumps or 1? and what pumps should I use.I would appreciate your thoughts.

fishdoc11
04/24/2008, 06:10 AM
It depends on how much your overflows can handle and how much you want to run through your sump. You will most likely also want one that is pressure rated. Some good sealless brands are Iwaki and Panworld/blueline. GenX makes good less inexpensive external pumps. Lots of people would go with a Reeflo type seal pump with the size of your tank. IME finding a return pump that matches the tank requires a good bit of homework. This calculator should help:
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php
You might also take a look at old larger TOTM's for good ideas and look around in the large tank forum.
Also putting a big mad face in front of your post doesn't attract people to post. Kinda like bees to honey ya know;)
hth, Chris

reevesymj
04/24/2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks for your post. Took your advice and looked around the big tank forum and have found a few threads that are helpful. From what I've read, I'm thinking I should circulate 3 to 4 times the tank volume per hour. I take on board your advice about the mad face; Haven't got my glasses on and thought it was a confused face.

fishdoc11
04/24/2008, 07:47 AM
:lol:

Good luck, Chris