PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish are on their way... (questions)

Poisonus Yeti
04/24/2008, 09:24 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions concerning the fish that should be arriving tomorrow so if you have any input whether it be from research or experience please enlighten me. I am still fairly new at this hobby so any help is appreciated.

I have two clownfish ( ~1" ea.) and a blue regal tang (small) arriving tomorrow from live aquaria. I have a 20 gallon QT tank ready to go, waiting for their arrival.

Now on to the questions (I'm sure there will be more):

Is it ok to QT these three fish together?

My plan is to treat both species of fish with hyposalinity for 4 weeks, is this recommended?

Should I treat the two clownfish (before entering the QT tank) with a formalin dip to prevent brooklynella?

I'm probably worrying too much (hard not to with all these stories about disease on RC!) but I want to create/maintain a healthy environment for these fish. So I thank you for your replies to these possibly silly questions that have more than likely been asked/answered a thousand times here on RC!

-Yeti

wicked_NaCl_h2o
04/24/2008, 09:35 AM
congratulation's on your new clownfish ..what kind of clownfish are they?

Toddrtrex
04/24/2008, 09:41 AM
I personally don't QT (( Yes, I know, but it is a choice I have made, and it works for me )), so take what I say with a grain of salt. ( pun intended ) I would not do hyposalinity unless you notice something on the fish that would make you need to do that. See no reason to add to their stress until you have too. Use the QT as a means to watch them and then treat if necessary.

Poisonus Yeti
04/24/2008, 09:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12400670#post12400670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wicked_NaCl_h2o
congratulation's on your new clownfish ..what kind of clownfish are they?

Thanks!! They are amphiprion percula and I am very excited!

Poisonus Yeti
04/24/2008, 10:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12400714#post12400714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I personally don't QT (( Yes, I know, but it is a choice I have made, and it works for me )), so take what I say with a grain of salt. ( pun intended ) I would not do hyposalinity unless you notice something on the fish that would make you need to do that. See no reason to add to their stress until you have too. Use the QT as a means to watch them and then treat if necessary.

I just finished reading (for the 5th or 6th time) the sticky at the top about the QT procedure for new clownfish. Is this procedure pretty much outdated? The author of the post states that hyposalinity actually reduces the stress and/or the amount of energy the fish uses due to a lower salinity. Is this untrue?

Jovreefer
04/24/2008, 10:30 AM
If the clowns are WC I would give them a formalin bath before putting them in QT.

Poisonus Yeti
04/24/2008, 10:40 AM
I assume the True Perculas from LiveAquaria are WC since they say papua/new guinea next to the description.

wicked_NaCl_h2o
04/24/2008, 11:16 AM
What I did with my Chrysopterus Clowns is put them in a tank by themselfs..no meds untill I saw some thing wrong. Three days after my clowns were added to the tank they had ich. Right now they are being treated with cupramine. Which seems to be working great. I wouldn't add any medications or do any hypo untill they are showing any signs of deseases or parasites. Adding any meds while there is nothing wrong with the fish could put a lot of stress on your new fish. I would keep them in QT with normal SG for two weeks but after those two weeks..if there is no sign of sickness or parasites then I think it would be safe to add them to the display.

melanotaenia
04/24/2008, 08:47 PM
if you get them from LA they are probably going to be parasite free, but QT to watch would be the best recommendation

Poisonus Yeti
04/25/2008, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty excited to see these little guys. They were delivered to my brother in-law's house. I'll post some photos once I get home from work and they are acclimated to the QT tank.

rkelman
04/25/2008, 05:00 PM
Its really your choice if you want to use hypo or not. If you start hypo you can have them in your tank in 5 or 6 weeks. If you have them in QT and 2 weeks from now you start to see ich its going to be another 5 or 6 on top of the initial 2 you waited.. So really its a matter of preference. I have not found hypo to stress the fish in any way. I wouldn't use formalin unless you have to. Its a pretty strong chemical to be using if you don't need to. (its made up of formaldehyde, water, and typically another agent, most commonly methanol. Also its a carcenogen) Make sure you have some pvc pipes or something so they can hide if they feel stressed. Especially the Tang. Mine hid for 2 weeks of the QT period. Good luck with your new fish.

Poisonus Yeti
04/26/2008, 08:16 AM
Initially I was going to QT these guys in the same tank as the hippo tang do to lack of space/equip etc. but the hippo tang apparently has some sort of parasite/growth (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1378748). So I decided to take my goby out of his QT tank, transfer him to the DT, place the hippo in his QT tank and give the clowns a home in the 20g QT tank. Here they are:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/d_klaus/DSCN2453.jpg

wicked_NaCl_h2o
04/26/2008, 08:59 AM
oo nice ..they look great. :D

rkelman
04/26/2008, 09:19 AM
They are real nice. Congrats.

ILLiDaN
04/26/2008, 11:35 PM
more pics :D

Poisonus Yeti
04/27/2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the compliments everyone! Here are some more photos.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/d_klaus/DSCN2460.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/d_klaus/DSCN2464.jpg