PDA

View Full Version : Humidity Control during the Summer...

camarojweed
04/24/2008, 02:18 PM
I was wondering what some of you do for humidity control of your tanks during the summer...I have a 260 gallon display tank with about 400 gallons of total water in the system in my basement. I cut a hole in the wall of the part of the finished side of the basement and the tank/equipment is on the unfinished side...I put a 14000 BTU portable air conditioner/dehumidifier on the unfinished side and it is hosed out one of the windows...It crapped out on my due to some salt creep(I had it too close to the system, so I am moving it to another window), but I have it back up and running, but I wanted to know if I am attacking this the right way...I don't use a chiller since that would just add heat to the basement, the A/C unit works good, I just keep it on dehumidify and it pulls out heat and moisture...Thanks for chiming in here would love to hear some other ideas on how to keep the heat and humidity down and maybe save on the electric bill if there is a better way...

You can see my tank build by clicking the red house...

Jason

camarojweed
04/26/2008, 08:07 AM
Bump...You guys have to have some way to control this...or maybe some ideas...

DOTZ
04/26/2008, 08:17 AM
Use a bathroom fan and cover the top with a canopy. That way all humidity goes out side. I have been think for awhile about covering the tpoof mine drill a hole in the bottom so cold air from under the house is being pulled through the stand and canopy and out side. That way it will keep my tank cool in the summer to. But my canopy and stand are going to be an all in one type deal.

Crazy4salth2o
04/27/2008, 06:02 AM
My system is in the garage/living room. I use a vent fan in the summer and a dehumdifier in the winter. it is still humid in the garage but not too bad. I use a chiller during the summer, but the vent fan takes care of the heat. I thought about an air conditioner, but did not want to deal with the power usage. the chiller runs 2-4 hours a day.