PDA

View Full Version : ? on the PM Kalk reactor

volcom69
04/24/2008, 05:49 PM
Couple questions as i really dont get these instructions they sent me. Ok so i did the kalk slurry like they said and filled the water to 1 inch of the top, now with the timer am i running both the reactor pump and the dosing pump on the same timer. Also are you guys running this at 3-4 times for 10 min. I also am unsure of when this will need to be filled with kalk again and how do i do this do i just dump fresh kalk in or do i make another kalk slurry again. As you can tell this is my first kalk reactor so i wanna make sure i do things right thanks for the advice.

crumbletop
04/24/2008, 06:24 PM
I don't have a PM reactor but they all work about the same. The mixing pump you don't need to run that long -- but 3-4 times / day is fine to keep the stuff in the reactor saturated. I wouldn't run the dosing pump on the same timer, but would either run it as the topoff (that's what I do), or dose it separately and slowly into a high flow portion of your sump. If you don't have a sump, drip it into a high flow portion of the display.

Whatever you do, be careful in the early going so you get the feel for it. I might even cut back on the kalk in it in order to get a feel for how it works and then go with the full strength stuff.

RE when to reload the reactor -- I just add new kalk when it is running low. I usually fill mine up about every 6 weeks or so.

sditch
04/25/2008, 04:56 PM
I have a PM calc. reactor and it works well. I use to add kalk to it but now I just put about 3-4 inches of Kalk in the unit and it runs my 120gal SPS tank for about 8 weeks.

At that point I take out the unit and poor everyhting out and clean it well, maybe let the pump run with some vinigur everyone in awhile.

I then add some fresh RO/DI and make a new kalk "slurry". I also reduced my stir cycle to one a day.