PDA

View Full Version : salt for a 20000l reef pool

Reefsystem
04/25/2008, 12:57 AM
I want to make a large reef pool in my backyard where it will receive full sun and will be open to the elements.
My only concern is water changes.

Could I use pool salt and mix it with RO/DI , to make my
water changes.

stunreefer
04/25/2008, 06:52 AM
By reef pool I assume you intend to keep corals and such, and if so no, I would not use pool salt. Maybe just for fish/sharkes but I'm not sure if that would work. Too many different trace elements, heavy metals, etc.

Arthur1
04/25/2008, 11:35 AM
Reef, large scale saltwater systems are not the cheapest as you probably know. I have worked at a few places where the salwater came from the ocean direct :) You can buy salt in large quantities as some aquariums do or if you have access to the ocean (without box jellies of course) that would probably be the most optimum way of doing your "water changes". But yes a large ro/di system and a lot of sw mix could do it if you do it there should be an open invitation for all rc members! Have fun

plancton
04/25/2008, 12:20 PM
Interesting, I have always wanted to do the same, I have a house at a private beach in Puerto Vallarta Mexico, I was thinking perhaps installing a pump and plumbing to get water straight from the sea and plumbing to get water out of the pool back to the sea, in that way you basically do continue water changes and no need for skimmer even.

But what I'm concerned about, is: how would you solve the raining issue?, wouldn't raining introduce to much freshwater to the pool?

danorth
04/25/2008, 12:50 PM
"I have a house at a private beach in Puerto Vallarta Mexico"

When's the bbq?!

Talis
04/25/2008, 01:27 PM
If you were continually pumping (waterchange) there shouldn't be any issues with rain.

reef / aholic
04/25/2008, 02:14 PM
SALT CONTENT!!!

. natural ocean water about 35,000ppm
. pool salt water about 3,000ppm

Reefsystem
04/25/2008, 05:25 PM
I already live neer the beach about 10 minutes away i will just get water from the ocean. So the salt issue is out of the way.
With the rain I will ahve a sliding acrylic panal over the reef pool.
Yes i will be keeping every kind of coral not just fish.
And no problem with box jellies im in Sydney Australia.

Could i use rain water that came off the acrilic over my reef tank to top off the reef pools water when the water evaporates?

McCrary
04/25/2008, 05:39 PM
You should create a thread so that we can watch the progress of your reef pool. It would be pretty neat for all of us who can only dream of having the resources to do something like this.

Reefsystem
04/25/2008, 06:17 PM
Yes i will be posting daily pictures of the reef pools construction when i start on the large reef tank forum

plancton
04/27/2008, 12:15 PM
Cool. Ok now about my pool project:

A pump taking water from the ocean and raise it up to the pool would have to be a big pump so it would consume to much electricity and so it just can't be running all the time, I was thinking perhaps turning it on 2 hours a day or something, that way the water is completely recycled , there's no need to turn it on the whole day.

If it rains then it needs to be turned on as well, but in order to do that, I'm gonna need to automate it, what kind of gadget can I use so that it will automatically turn on when it starts raining?.
I would just need to watch for red tide but that happens every 3 years or something.

Also I'm thinking on having waves inside the pool, that would be perfect water motion adition. Wave devices for aquarium would be to small for a pool like this, I remember I onced watched a discovery channel program that talked about the wave systems they use nowadays in water park pools, they seem to be gravity fed, I would need to create some kind of gravity fed wave generator to also cut on costs.

Yeah yeah I know what you're gonna say "If you already have a private beach why do you care so much about costs"

I do care about costs actually, such a big project like this would requiere so much electricity consumption, plus I'm all about care for the environment.

kylehca
04/27/2008, 01:07 PM
All I can say is Wow

SIRJUSTIS
04/28/2008, 05:41 PM
a reef pool? ya man thats how you do it:)

Musho3210
04/28/2008, 06:41 PM
this is awsome....

good luck, buy some snorkels and some scuba equipment lol.

swreasercher
04/28/2008, 06:43 PM
i want a large shark pool like on Ace Ventura pet detective.

DarG
04/28/2008, 07:33 PM
Large surge (dump) buckets for the waves would be the most economical. Google it, you'll find info.

gotfrogs
04/28/2008, 08:40 PM
There is a thread somewhere where I guy did this with and indoor pool. I am not sure if it is still up and running.