PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Tank

civitan.erichan
04/25/2008, 04:42 AM
I am getting ready to move an established 75G tank. I have a couple of 10G tanks and a 30G Tall to put corals or fish into once they arrive at their new home, before the 75 settles. Any advice?

Is there a tank moving thread??

Thank you,

Eric.

rbursek
04/25/2008, 06:57 AM
Have some mixed up water at the new house ready to go for lose, lots of friends to help, and containers for rock, sand, and LS.

Savas
04/25/2008, 07:25 AM
I bought 10 5-gallon Homer Depot buckets with lids when I moved a tank. I used everyone of them. The lids seal tight for a short transport and a chemical sock heater under the bucket will keep them warm.

civitan.erichan
04/25/2008, 08:00 AM
By sock heater, you mean those little breakable packages that people use for skiing that generate heat?

How long should I expect to keep Corals and Fish out of the tank?
Do I use the lights for the corals or for the LR?

I saw some where a recommendation to transport just a little of the existing sand and add that to new sand??

Thanks.

Savas
04/25/2008, 08:44 AM
Yes, those sock heaters.

The water temp drops pretty quickly in small buckets. I have kept my fish in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and heater for three days with no problems. Temperature control is more important here than water flow in my opinion if you are just keeping them out for a day or two. Fish are shipped two-day air in just a little bag, so you should be fine.

I am not the sand expert, but I believe you can take all your old sand with you provided you do not have a deep sand bed and your tank is less than a year old - that is conventional wisdom.

Good luck in the move and I am glad to see another Marylander here.

Gtstricky
04/25/2008, 09:52 AM
Here is some good info: http://www.melevsreef.com/moving_a_tank.html

civitan.erichan
04/25/2008, 10:08 AM
Excellent Article. Thank you.