PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate how thick acrylic is needed?

Henry100
04/25/2008, 06:05 AM
Can you calculate the exact thickness of acrylic needed for a specific depth of a DIY aquarium?Of coarse,I ask this question because I think building aquariums using many thicknesses of acrylic is cheaper than using only 4 thicknesses.Cast acrylic is also produced in every thickness,thus using only 4 thicknesses is anti-economical!:)

CMcNeil
04/25/2008, 11:29 AM
cyro industries has a sheet thickness calculator you can download.you input a couple of numbers and it tells you the sheet thickness.some people think it is flawed but as a simple reference,i think it is good enough.the problem i have with what you are saying is that most of the sheet produced isnt true thickness,for example 1/4" sheet actually measures about .215-.220" not a true .250"

Henry100
04/25/2008, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12409127#post12409127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CMcNeil
cyro industries has a sheet thickness calculator you can download.you input a couple of numbers and it tells you the sheet thickness.some people think it is flawed but as a simple reference,i think it is good enough.the problem i have with what you are saying is that most of the sheet produced isnt true thickness,for example 1/4" sheet actually measures about .215-.220" not a true .250"

Could you show me the url of that thickness calculator,because I can't find it on my own.Furthermore,the thickness variation of acrylic sheet doesn't bother in any way,as it exists to the same extent in all thicknesses.

reef / aholic
04/25/2008, 02:00 PM
www.sdplastics.com/cyro/aquarium/Aquarium.xls

Henry100
04/25/2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks,reefaholic!But it gives very conservative results,something which is not good if you don't have much money to spend,like me.

cloakerpoked
04/25/2008, 03:50 PM
I suppose, but it may be better than having 80 gallons of seawater laying on your floor :) Can't imagine that would be cheap either.

CMcNeil
04/25/2008, 05:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12410402#post12410402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Henry100
Thanks,reefaholic!But it gives very conservative results,something which is not good if you don't have much money to spend,like me.

i believe the conservative results are to limit liabillty on their end.if the calculator told you the absolute minimum thickness and it failed then you may try to blame them.i guess what i want to know is why go absolute minimum?it will almost certainly bow at the minimum thickness.will it hold water?yes...but i dont want a tank that looks pregnant,do you?