PDA

View Full Version : To skim or not to skim

raen
04/25/2008, 10:53 AM
Do I HAVE TO have a skimmer, and or refuge? I do not have either, and am VERY VERY limited on space to add anything to the tank. Suggestions please..............................

Mr James
04/25/2008, 11:07 AM
No, you do not have to. But what do you have planned for nutrient export?? You will feed you fish, they will poop and aside from water chages, how do you plan to rid your tank of the poop?? Besides, a healthy refugium helps to lower phosphateds and nitrates.

Most people on here use skimmers, some do not. I use both a skimmer (the best I could afford) and a refugium. But I don't have a space issue.

EDIT: Read this article: READ ME (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php)

raen
04/25/2008, 11:32 AM
Can you then recommend a skimmer that will attach to the back of my tank, that is small, and not put TONS of bubbles into the water? And to answer your question about the poop.....I just figured the poop fairy took care of it! :)

Mr James
04/25/2008, 11:42 AM
by raen
Can you then recommend a skimmer that will attach to the back of my tank, that is small, and not put TONS of bubbles into the water? And to answer your question about the poop.....

The only HO (Hang-On) skimmer I have used is probably outdated now. It was the Aqua C Remora. I have read that Octopus has a decent one. Ask that question in the Filtration Forum and they can give you better details.

by raen
I just figured the poop fairy took care of it! :)

I'm a daddy of three (4 yrs, 2 yrs and 5 months old). I am their "poop fairy". I make the dirty diapers disappear faster than most NASCAR pit crews can change tires.

raen
04/25/2008, 11:46 AM
Babe, I am a MOTHER of 3, so I can appreciate your pit crew comment! :) However, I will challenge you in the diaper change games, and I think I may be able to take you! :)

Mr James
04/25/2008, 11:59 AM
by raen
However, I will challenge you in the diaper change games, and I think I may be able to take you! :)

No thanks, I would never go up against a mom!!

I made the "daddy of 3" comment because of your profile.

raen
04/25/2008, 12:03 PM
Love it! Also love that you even know how to change the diap's!!! You are a rarity! Thanks for your advice, and keep up the good poop scoopin'

Trops
04/25/2008, 12:39 PM
A skimmer is like the colon of your system. It seperates the "crap" from the good and without one, well...

bdif
04/25/2008, 12:47 PM
Put a skimmer on and after it gets tuned in look at the collection cup and decide if you need a skimmer. If you decide you don't, then go ahead and pour the contents of the collection cup back in your display. I think you'll have your answer. Not having a skimmer is like going into a gunfight without bullets. Sure you may survive, but why on earth would you even try.

jubjub
04/25/2008, 12:48 PM
definately get a skimmer just get a coralife one or heck i run a p75 odyssea one (35$) and works stupid good on my 75.....but also it helps air-rate the tank to...