PDA

View Full Version : Biocube help

vwwanksta69
04/25/2008, 11:18 AM
This morning I woke up and noticed that one of my clownfish was missing...I opened up the lid for the back chambers and found it on the grate in my second chamber, he was still alive so I put him back in the tank....For some reason that is where both of my clownfish sleep at night...My question is how do i prevent this from happening again? I fear that if I did not spot him right away he could of died....I lowered my water level slightly so it would be harder to jump/roll over the back wall....Thanks

MSU Fan
04/25/2008, 01:03 PM
Go to HD and buy some vinyl snap in gutter guard. Then cut it down to about 1" from the snap in edge. You'll need to cut out a few sections of the "snap in" portion to fit over the parts in the back of the tank, but the gg will just snap onto the divider between the back compartments and the front. When the cover is closed, it is virtually impossible for a fish to get over the top of the guard.

Why is your water level so high? That's a good thing to figure out - mine is much below the top. Did you do any mods to the tank (eg replace the pump?)?

El Camaron
04/25/2008, 01:50 PM
my water level is always high as well, i have heard of some people opening up a bit more of the drain from the first compartment, so more water starts to flow. When it was low my return pump blew a lot of microbubbles.

vwwanksta69
04/25/2008, 02:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12409713#post12409713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MSU Fan
Go to HD and buy some vinyl snap in gutter guard. Then cut it down to about 1" from the snap in edge. You'll need to cut out a few sections of the "snap in" portion to fit over the parts in the back of the tank, but the gg will just snap onto the divider between the back compartments and the front. When the cover is closed, it is virtually impossible for a fish to get over the top of the guard.

Why is your water level so high? That's a good thing to figure out - mine is much below the top. Did you do any mods to the tank (eg replace the pump?)?

Must of been from my last water change...must have filled it up higher then normal...it just a pain that they sleep there....I am going to try to find a dermal tonight and do that mod from chamber 1 to 2 and also I will try your vinyl advice hopefully sometime today....thanks for the feedback, didnt want to lose a fish over this :)

Saltwaterstart
04/25/2008, 06:10 PM
I thought a piece of plastic covering all 3 chambers, and also high enough to touch the tip of the lid before it closes would work. Just extending the wall with a piece of vinyl or acrylic would do though.

I have the same problem. I keep my water level higher because my longnose hawkfish likes to jump over into chamber 3 whenever I add new corals.

vwwanksta69
04/26/2008, 10:29 AM
ya that seems like what I have to do, unfortunately this morning I found him over it again, bad news was I had to take out all the bio-balls because he flipped into them when i lifted the tray out (wish oceanic made it so the tray came straight out :( ) got him back in the tank and he is doing fine but I am definitely not repeating this tomorrow morning...ill try to post up what i ended up doing

El Camaron
04/27/2008, 07:54 AM
if you can find that plastic square grid they use to prop up corals or on top of tanks too, you could cut about 4 rows and put it where the problem area is.

I took out my bioballs and just installed a SR3 skimmer in that compartment, if i had a fish that did that he would be swimming in a lot of bubbles.

vwwanksta69
04/27/2008, 01:10 PM
^^ ya a egg crate would do the trick as well...I went to home depot and found a "gutter filter" I simply just cut it to the length i wanted and snapped it right on the back wall, its basically a fence on the back wall...I am guessing it worked since he did not go over the back wall last night :) Here are some pics:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/944/img1044ca6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Also I took a hand saw and cut the wall between chamber 1 and 2, it helped a bit with more flow:http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1047/img1045oa2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

El Camaron
04/27/2008, 02:45 PM
good job man, you can see the clown fish scoping that new wall lol. I also just cut that piece from the first chamber, definitely helps with flow.

Got some free egg crate today from my LFS, will use it for this in the future if it ever happens as well as i needed it to prop up the SR3 skimmer i just installed on the second chamber.

vwwanksta69
04/27/2008, 08:08 PM
free egg crate is always a good thing :)...ya they have always been hosting that back wall but never had this problem, and they have been in the tank for over a month....decided to re-aqua scape the tank today so maybe they will go somewhere else then the wall tonight... I dont want to have to deal with this ever again....haha