PDA

View Full Version : coraline ?

Flightpipe
04/26/2008, 09:20 AM
I think i got bad info from my LFS i am going to let coraline grow on the back of my tank they said just dont scrape it and it will grow but the only thing there is brown and green algae will coraline grow over it or should i just clean it and keep waiting

Coraline is already growning on my rocks just no glass.

ROB2005
04/26/2008, 09:28 AM
You can scrape it to seed to other areas of the tank.

IslandCrow
04/26/2008, 09:40 AM
Are you asking if you should scrape away the coraline or the other algae? Personally, I wouldn't scrape the coraline. I'm not so sure it will help it spread any faster. Once it takes off, it will grow fast enough all by itself. As for the other algae, yes, I would get rid of that. If you scrape it off, suck it out of the tank using a turkey baster or siphone hose. If you just let if float around your tank, it's going to just pop up somewhere else. Although coraline will often times inhibit the growth of other forms of algae, it's generally not going to grow over other algae.

Flightpipe
04/26/2008, 10:28 AM
No, what i am saying is that my LFS said dont mess with the back glass and coraline will grow. Its been a while and the only thing growing on it is brown and green algae. The question is should i just leave the brown and green algae on there and the coraline will take over or should i scrape off the brown and green and wait for coraline ot grow.

seapug
04/26/2008, 10:26 PM
If the tank is new you will get the brown and green algae first. Coralline comes later but it will take longer to start growing if the hair algae gets too established. Get a mag float glass cleaner and get rid of the green and brown. It won't hurt any coralline once it's starts growing.

afish70
04/26/2008, 10:31 PM
scrape the other algae off. give it time and the other Coraline will come. i only have 1 little spot on my back glass with the pink/purple on it. my power heads and other plastic items have it on them and have for a while. my tank has only been running since X-mas.