PDA

View Full Version : Different types of Dendrophyillas??

JazzZero
04/27/2008, 08:19 AM
Well my question is what my title says. Just yesterday i visited my LFS to find they had got dendros and just not one type. They are quite expenisive too. There were 2 types one with a skeleton shaped like a fat SPS and the other one that werent really linked but was on a piece of rock. They were both around $400 however the one thaat were linked together like a SPS had about 7-10 heads maybe more and the one on the rock had around 4-8 heads. So what is the major difference and if anyone can, can you share a pic of a type. Oh, and my LFS also has rhizos for around $600 for a colored one and $300 for a white one.

aninjaatemyshoe
04/27/2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, there are a number of different species of Dendrophyllia. They aren't a very common coral in this hobby, but I've seen a few different types. In my experience, however, a lot of places like to sell different looking tubastreas as Dendrophyllia simply because you can sell it for much more. I would need to see a picture to ID whether it was a dendro or a tubastrea.

Rhizos, on the other hand, are rather rare. $300 is actually a pretty good price for one. Whether it is worth it, well that is all up to the buyer.

JazzZero
04/27/2008, 01:09 PM
Well im pretty sure its not a tubastrea because Dendro heads are far bigger than those of a sun coral.

ViPeR_930
04/27/2008, 10:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12418398#post12418398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JazzZero
Well im pretty sure its not a tubastrea because Dendro heads are far bigger than those of a sun coral.
That may be true for the dendros at your LFS but not all species of dendros are bigger than tubastreas.

Duce
04/28/2008, 04:48 PM
I "think" I know the LFS you are talking about.
IMO there are 3 different species of Dendro there...
Just to give you an idea on number of Dendro species I found the below from the Net.
I gave up trying to id those at the LFS....
Dendrophyllia aculeata
Dendrophyllia alcocki
Dendrophyllia alternata
Dendrophyllia arbuscula
Dendrophyllia atrata
Dendrophyllia boschmai
Dendrophyllia californica
Dendrophyllia carieenae
Dendrophyllia cecilliana
Dendrophyllia cladonia
Dendrophyllia cornigera
Dendrophyllia cornucopia
Dendrophyllia cribosa
Dendrophyllia dilatata
Dendrophyllia fistula
Dendrophyllia florulenta
Dendrophyllia gaditana
Dendrophyllia gracilis
Dendrophyllia ijimai
Dendrophyllia incisa
Dendrophyllia indica
Dendrophyllia japonica
Dendrophyllia johnsoni
Dendrophyllia laboreli
Dendrophyllia micranthus
Dendrophyllia minuscula
Dendrophyllia oldroydae
Dendrophyllia praecipua
Dendrophyllia radians
Dendrophyllia ramea
Dendrophyllia robusta
Dendrophyllia velata
Dendrophyllia cornucopia

JazzZero
04/28/2008, 05:55 PM
HOLY CRAP are you for real? wow that really sucks but anyhow the LFS im talking bout is Sea U Marine..are we still talking about the same store