View Full Version : Black Sponge?

04/27/2008, 09:31 AM
Is there such a thing as a black sponge?

I had a piece of live rock just setting half way in my sand. I moved it today because of an atapia (sp) anemone that I could not reach to kill (killed the other 2 that I noticed with boiling water). While moving it, where it was burried under the sand there was a jet black webby spongy something. I tried taking pictures but they didn't really show anything but black on a rock. I looked around to see if I could find anything on black sponges and have yet to find any info. Could it be a sponge, maybe something dieing? (but it is JET black) This rock is covered in feather dusters and I found 2 dwarf brittle stars on it as well (and was able to kill the anemone with water through an eye dropper once I moved it to a higher place in my tank and he didn't hide every time I got near) :D The rock is now back in the shade, in case it is a sponge that doesn't like light, since it was under the sand.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to borrow a friends better camera and see if I can get a better photo of it tomorrow.

04/28/2008, 09:22 AM
Probably a tunicate. There are species that are jet black and look a lot like sponges.

05/06/2008, 05:08 PM
There are indeed jet black sponges out there. In fact, I have a group of very nice jet black barrel sponges that are growing really well in my tank. I have no idea what the species is. You need access to a microscope and an expert to ID sponges properly.

It could be a tunicate, couldn't tell you without a good picture. It more likely a variety of encrusting sponge though.

05/06/2008, 06:55 PM
Not saying it isn't a sponge, but many of the things we think are sponges in our tank are actually colonial tunicates and look A LOT like sponges. Tunicates actually make up the largest biomass on live rock, sponges are second. Could be either.....