PDA

View Full Version : New 125 gallon tank, what should I be doing?

footbagger311
04/27/2008, 10:09 AM
I am buying a new tank from this guy on Craigslist and it is coming with a protein skimmer, wet/dry pump, and a stand.

Since this is my first time dealing with such a large tank, what should I be getting or adding to it to make it run very well? Like, what type of lighting and plumbing and those types of things? Just keep in mind that I live on the third floor of a small apartment.

Thanks

Oh and one more thing, what is the deal with having the black or blue backgrounds on tanks? I don's see what the purpose is for those other than blocking the view on that side of the tank.

reefergeorge
04/27/2008, 10:20 AM
Is it going to be a reef, or fish only?
I would start looking for a good deal on a lot of rock, and if your tank is viewable from both sides. I wouldn't paint the back, and leave it viewable from both sides. On my setup the blue background looks better than a white wall.

indydog1
04/27/2008, 10:58 AM
[welcome]

background is preference....instead of seeing wires and plumbing

i would check with mgmt first....so places won't allow such a large tank due to possible leaks.

defineately get a sump. more volume, place to hide heaters, do water changes, put your protein skimmer etc.

lighting will depend on the type of tank. reef, fowlr, fish only.

give us more of an idea, and the opinions will roll in for sure.

footbagger311
04/27/2008, 11:07 AM
I plan on making it a reef tank of course.

Since I already have two smaller tanks, a reef and FOWLR, would I be able to put that water and rocks into the new tank?

indydog1
04/27/2008, 11:13 AM
yes, but it might still cycle

metal halide for lighting

what are planning to keep? softies, lps, sps, clams?

footbagger311
04/27/2008, 11:23 AM
well, i already have some star polyps, toadstools, and leathers and such so i would continue with that. What about T5 lighting?

indydog1
04/27/2008, 11:32 AM
with those corals it should be fine, but if decide to get into sps you will need to upgrade.

Jim_Leyland
04/27/2008, 11:38 AM
your going to need more rock also, if you only have a 29 and a 46 i doubt u have 150lbs in those 2 tanks so that's 1 think you can put on the list

footbagger311
04/27/2008, 01:04 PM
well of course i would be getting more LR, but that will happen over time.