PDA

View Full Version : Totally reef safe shrimp

synofreak
04/27/2008, 11:43 AM
I'm looking for suggestions for totally reef safe shrimp. My tank has Yellow Tang, pair GSM Clowns, 2 Damsels, Mandarian goby. Alot of types of coral(no SPS yet), Bubble tip anemones(and shrooms), Snails, blue leg, scarlet, and emerald crabs. So far I'm seeing Cleaner and Fire shrimp that are. Is this correct and are there any others? Would a wrasse be possible addition later(Radiant or yellow coris)? Thanks for the help.

nanO352
04/27/2008, 11:51 AM
Sexy shrimp are reef safe. I don't see any problems with keeping a radiant wrasse or a yellow coris. I prefer the radiant wrasse because of their colors.

paytonv
04/27/2008, 11:59 AM
I have a 24 gallon mixed reef with lots of sps/lps and I have a coral banded shrimp which also likes to clean my hawk, clowns, and blenny, and my hand. My coral banded shrimp seldom hides. I did buy him small. Some say they larger ones aren't reef safe but I have had mine for about a year with no problem. Probably better suggestions would be a skunk cleaner or blood shrimp. Bloods typically hide alot and skunks are typically out more often. You will find them picking at things but it will be to clean. I'd stay away from the larger wrasses since they will make expensive meals out of your inverts. But hey what do i know, I have a flame hawk which isn't suppose to be reef safe and has yet to touch even the smallest of my inverts.

CoreyK
04/27/2008, 12:26 PM
Would a banded, skunk, or sexy shrimp do well in a 20g reef, or do they need more room?

snorvich
04/27/2008, 01:37 PM
You could do a group of sexy shrimp in a 20g reef. A coral banded is starting to be too large for that tank.

CoreyK
04/27/2008, 03:08 PM
By group, do you mean a mated pair?
What about a skunk, would they be too large for a 20g?

m2434
04/27/2008, 03:10 PM
IMO no shrimp is completely reef safe. Cleaner shrimps are good, but are food hogs and will steal food from everyone else...
Whenever I want to feed my Fungia I have to feed the CS first, but sometimes that doesn’t even work :lol:

dzeadow
04/27/2008, 03:27 PM
sexy shrimp are fun to watch and they don't get very big, and do best in groups of 3+... I've heard 10 is a good number to shoot for but not required. I have 5 in a 20L and they're all over the place. They eat the protein rich mucus from polyps etc. I haven't seen any ill effects from them from my torch, yellow polyps, zoas, palys, or ric's.

downhillbiker
04/27/2008, 03:56 PM
skunk cleaner would be fine in the 20gallon. no on the coral banded. yes on the sexy shrimp. yes on a fire shrimp.

i recommend the cleaner. they are really cool and watching them interact symbiotically with the fish is just a beautiful gift from nature.

herostar
04/27/2008, 04:08 PM
Just because nobody said it yet...

peppermint shrimp!

I've had one for 18 months w/ no problem... Never heard of anyone else having a problem with them either.

synofreak
04/27/2008, 05:23 PM
I had a peppermint bagged up, but the guy said they started munching yellow polyps after the aptasia(his tank) was gone? Cleaners were $28 though. Fire(Blood)red were $34. Thats alotta $$ for some shrimp.Coral banded were $13, but he stated they might not be reef safe. BTW, my tank is 60" 120g.

Arati
04/27/2008, 06:27 PM
fire shrimp hide. so dod peppermints. cleaners are good they are food hogs but I have read they are a big + for yellow tang owners. that may be something to consider.

Mark426
04/27/2008, 06:40 PM
I dont know of any shrimp that are totally reef safe. If they dont eat your corals, they will eat their food. The only exception may be the sexys.

snorvich
04/27/2008, 07:09 PM
I would get 10 or so sexy shrimp. They are cool and don't eat anything useful.

betat
04/27/2008, 07:41 PM
Although my fire shrimp hides under an overhang, it does come out to eat when the dinner bell rings. I have also found it cleaning the watchman goby. None of the other fish will sit still for that. It does add a lot of color to the tank.

CoreyK
04/27/2008, 07:59 PM
What about shrimp getting along with eachother?
For instance, would a peppermint get along with a few sexy shrimp or skunk?
Sorry if these are newb questions, but I just lost my peppermint shrimp and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I liked him a lot, but I've always also liked skunk cleaners, and sexy shrimp are really neat looking.

kes_reef
05/01/2008, 01:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12421017#post12421017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoreyK
What about shrimp getting along with eachother?
For instance, would a peppermint get along with a few sexy shrimp or skunk?
Sorry if these are newb questions, but I just lost my peppermint shrimp and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I liked him a lot, but I've always also liked skunk cleaners, and sexy shrimp are really neat looking.

I used to have a 75g FWLR tank and had 2 cleaners, 1 blood, 2 peppermint, and 2 camel (not reef safe) for over 3 years without any problems as they kept their distance from one another. I've had a sexy lady but never a sexy shrimp.

CookieJar
05/01/2008, 02:12 AM
Fire shrimp are hands down the most beautiful, they do tend to hide but come out when feeding happens. Skunk shrimp are active and have great personalities, until you see them stealing food from you LPS corals. :( Having a handful of sexy shrimp would be real cool in a nano- with a handful you'll always see 1 or 2. i put 1 in my 180 and I don't know if he's hiding somewhere or got gobbled up.....