PDA

View Full Version : Blue Wave or Galaxy Ballast? Any Cost Savings?

Macimage
04/27/2008, 11:51 AM
Hi,

I have a Maristar fixture with 3 250 DE HQI lights (& t5s). The fixture came with Blue Wave Ballasts several years ago. What is the difference between the Blue Wave and new Galaxy Ballasts?

If I changed ballasts, would we see any electrical cost savings? As a note, we are in Calif. and most of our electrical bill is in the upper 200% over baseline cost tier.

I don't understand what the difference between the Blue Wave and Galaxy ballasts is.

Thanks for any clarification!
Joyce

Flatlander
04/28/2008, 07:43 AM
Hi Joyce,
The Bluewave,s I ran on my large tank powering my 400w Radiums were pulse starts. My current duel 250w Galaxy is an electronic ballast.

Very impressive so far but only ran it for a month now. Looks well made like the Bluewave and has similar connects and long thick cables. It say,s made in China on them, so guessing Sunlight Supply has some of it made there ?

hyperfocal
04/28/2008, 09:28 AM
I think all the big vendors are manufacturing in China now; they have to if they want to remain competitive. It would be difficult to sell a US made ballast for $400 if the customer could buy a comparable Chinese-made one for $250 from a competitor.

Macimage
04/28/2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Flatlander,

Thanks for the info! However, I'm still unsure what the advantage of switching to the Galaxy would be? Does one burn the bulbs better or run differently? What does the pulse start offer as opposed to the Blue Waves?

I guess I'm just not getting what the point of switching would be?

Thanks!
Joyce

gcarroll
04/28/2008, 10:03 AM
the Blue Wave ballasts (M80) that you have consume approx 290 - 320 watts depending on bulb choice.

A Galaxy ballast (electronic) would consume approx approx 265 - 280 watts depending on bulb choice.

The Blue Wave will be a bit brighter.

My advice is decide if you can live with a bit less light. If you can it will save you $15 - $25 per month if you run the halides approx 8 hrs per day.

Macimage
04/28/2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks so much for the clarification. I noticed that the Galaxy ballasts cost less than the Blue Waves.

After I posted this thread, I read through the Lumen Bright thread and I am thinking of selling my Maristar fixture and getting three pendants with the Coral Vue ballasts. Where are they in terms of electrical usage?

Our electrical bill as $1794 one month last summer, so we don't mind a bit of savings!

Thanks for all your help,
Joyce

gcarroll
04/28/2008, 10:20 AM
Coral Cue ballasts may be about the same if not a tad less than the Galaxy ballasts. The real savings would come from not having the T5 supplemental. If it were me Iwould keep the Blue Wave and get 3 lumenarcs with 250 watt w/Radium bulbs. The color is awesome without supplementation.

BTW, if you sell the maristar I might be interested.

gcarroll
04/28/2008, 10:33 AM
you could go even a step further and step down to 175 watt bulbs/ballasts and go with the Iwasaki 15k. On an e ballasts it is as bright as most 250 watt 10K bulbs.

Macimage
04/28/2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks again!

I only run the T5's for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening for dawn/dusk effect.

I will stay with the 250 watts. I will figure out what I want by this weekend and pm you if I decide to sell the Maristar.

Does it make a difference if I go with the LumenBrights in SE or DE?

Thanks!
Joyce

gcarroll
04/28/2008, 11:45 AM
I prefer SE over DE. Mind you, I use both on my tank. Bulb choice is much better for SE.

Flatlander
04/28/2008, 06:26 PM
Sorry Joyce. I never noticed they were HQI, until I read Gregs post. You could use the pendants you're looking at and single ended. Something like the Radiums he suggested are very nice.

However, if the idea is to cut electric costs, then a change is in order. The electronic would save some, but not a great amount. The 175,s mentioned are another good idea. Only with the Iwasaki 15k though. I would guess that they would need the actinic supplements though.

Macimage
04/28/2008, 07:48 PM
I was thinking of changing my fixture after I read how happy everyone seems with the LumenBrights in this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1211402

I do wonder though, why the Maristar is over $2K new and these would be a bit over $1K?

I was just thinking of improving my setup. Any electrical savings would be a bonus.

Joyce