PDA

View Full Version : Anemone questions

Scrandrew
04/27/2008, 03:55 PM
Question #1...

I purchased, while at MACNA last year, from a reputable dealer, a rose bubble tip anemone. After initial wandering, the thing finally found its place, and, has not moved since (about 6 months). However, the bubble tipped tentacles that were prevelent on practically every tenatacle at the time of purchase, have morphed into a longer thinner tentacles. The color is a beautiful orange-pink, and it is seems happy in every way. It eats like a horse, whatever it is given. My question is, why, have the tentacles changed and why do they no longer have the bubble tipped ends? Did I not actually get a RBTA, and instead, got something else that has a life cycle stage of bubble tipped appearing tentacles? Any help would be appreciated.

Question #2...

I next, about two weeks ago, purchased what I was told was a green bubble tipped anemone. Very few of the tentacles were bubble tipped. At night, the tentacles do swell a bit, but, there is no way that all of the tentacles appear as those of a bubble tipped anemone. For the most part, it looks like a "magnifica." It has a maroonish purple base and dark green tentacles which are purple/pinkish tipped. Any thoughts? Do I have a magnifica or a quadricolor (BTA)? Why, if this is a BTA, do the tentacles not have the typical form like the RBTA?

Question #3...

I purchased three clownfish. The tank label had them described as perculas, but, although I am not an expert, I believe they are probably ocellarus. The question is, none of the three will go anywhere near my anemones. **** me off... Any thoughts?

Questions #4...

Finally, since my three clowns have no interest, I was thinking of gettins two small maroon clowns. Will this improve my chances of displaying the symbiotic relationship? Is the fact that my clowns might be tank bred affect their desire to enter the anemone? Do I have the wrong anemone? Are my clowns stupidheads? I thought that I could just get any anemone, maybe nievely. But, since I have had other clowns adopt everything from ricordea to frogspawn as a host, I thought I would be OK. Any help on any of the four questions would be appreciated!

Andy

Toddrtrex
04/27/2008, 07:58 PM
#1 No one really knows why some BTAs keep their bubble tips, and others loss them. Plenty of theories as to why and how to get them back, but none of them seem to work all the time.

#2 Bubble tips aren't a way to tell if it is actually a BTA, and would need a picture to help determine what it actually is. Though, since it is still alive I am leaning towards a BTA.

#3 How long have you had the clowns? Time is your friend in this case. And having 3 is not a good idea, in the future I see two of them pairing up and the 3rd one being killed.

#4 BTAs are a natural host for maroons, so they might be hosted sooner. However, I would not suggest getting them until you get rid of your existing clowns. And as for TR vs. WC being hosted, I have never found any differences.

Scrandrew
04/28/2008, 05:36 AM
Thank you for the answer. I assume now that I am not the only one who has experienced bubble tips losing their bubbles. I have a 210 gallon reef. Is it possible that having two anemones in a tank is not a good idea? Namely, will they engage in chemical warfare that will be detrimental to each other?

A~

elegance coral
04/28/2008, 06:17 AM
All is good, if they are the same species. Some people have reported trouble when mixing species. I have 5 different species in about 100gl with no problems, that I could say were chemical warfare. I'm not saying it couldn't happen though.

Scrandrew
04/28/2008, 10:36 AM
Thank you for the answer. Both of mine are bubble tips, even though they do not even resemble bubble tips (they both have longer stringier tentacles.

A~

Toddrtrex
04/28/2008, 11:41 AM
With them both being BTAs you won't have any issues. Back when I kept them I have 4 RBTAs, and 4 GBTAs, some were even touching without issues.

As far as being in the same tank and/or touching, color doesn't matter.

pink_floyd
04/28/2008, 11:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12425043#post12425043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
With them both being BTAs you won't have any issues. Back when I kept them I have 4 RBTAs, and 4 GBTAs, some were even touching without issues.

I second this!....