PDA

View Full Version : 9020 help

bennietheblenny
04/27/2008, 09:45 PM
Hello,
I purchased a 9020 new from a LFS about 3 months ago. From shipping or being moved around at the store i had to disasemble and reconnect to get it skimming. I have maybe collected 1.5 cups total of dark skimate since installing. I have cleaned it out 4 to 5 times. The left side, if looking from back has always, since day one had trouble getting water to fill skimmer body and come out back hole and front pipe. The other side fills to top and comes out the back and tube in 1/4 the time.

I have read the other posts and double checked the airlines, venturi inlet, etc.
One post even said it should easily be able to overflow skimmer body, is that true? Mine has never been able to get past the back exit hole.

What else should i try? Could it be a faulty pump or impellor? Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached a picture, its hard to tell but the left side is about 1 .5" below the right side.

Thank youhttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/156407tunze_9020.jpg

rvitko
04/28/2008, 09:37 AM
I suspect that the coupler between the pump and intake grate on the front or the bottom cover is not installed correctly. If the cover is open even a mm this will happen. I don't think it is the pump because even if a difference existed in the pump if the skimmer was properly sealed up and assembled water would still exit the hole in the back and the pipe.

bennietheblenny
04/28/2008, 10:09 AM
The grate and the cover are fit together tightly then inserted into the houseing. it cant be pushed in any more than it is. It is touching flush all the way around. How far should the outlet pipe be pushed in?
Thanks

rvitko
04/28/2008, 10:22 AM
Right, but are you sure the coupling is over the intake of the pump, it is best to carry out this assembly with the bottom tray off so you can see that they line up and manipulate the pump as needed. The bottom tray has a beveled edge that faces the front and if it is not seated all the way it will not work. The pipe doesn't seem to be a culprit in this case. If the pipe is in too far water comes out the nipples at the top and the effect is very dramatic. The problem is in either the coupler or the bottom cover (tray).

bennietheblenny
04/28/2008, 04:38 PM
ok, tonight i will pull the bottom cover and check the coupler on the pump intake and also will check the bottom tray.
ill let you know

bennietheblenny
04/29/2008, 04:51 PM
Roger,
the bottom plate fits loose. I put a plastic bread tie cut in half on each side. This helps fill the skimmer body and water comes out the hole in the back better than it ever has.
Adjusting the blue air screw, whether it is all the way out or half way in the bubbles never fill the neck more than 1/2 to 1 inch. Is that the normal height?
How high should it be for normal operation.
thanks for the help.

rvitko
04/30/2008, 09:04 AM
The bubbles rise slowly over time as a foam head develops. Generally I would set the screw to 6-7 turns open as a starting point and give it a few days.

You should not need the bread ties and we need to come up with a better solution. A few things come to mind. First check that the pump is in sideways so it's narrow profile with the side with the cord is pointed down, this will insure that it is not pressing down on the cover. Check that the cover is not bowed, if so it is very flexible and can be bent back. You might also try swapping the covers.

bennietheblenny
04/30/2008, 03:36 PM
I double checked the pumps, they are sideways and dont touch the bottom cover. I noticed the suction cup was pulling the left side down a little. That could have been the problem with water escaping out.
I will attach a picture of it working.

Could you tell me if this looks like a Tunze should be running?

Thanks again
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1564079020_Tunze_4_30_08.jpg

rvitko
04/30/2008, 03:38 PM
That looks correct.

bennietheblenny
05/01/2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the help.