PDA

View Full Version : Cement or epoxy for LR?

JustinReef
04/27/2008, 10:53 PM
I have a bunch of dried LR from my old tank that I want to cement together before I add it to my new tank. Im wondering if there is a cement I can get from home depot that is reef safe. I dont really want to use the stuff sold specifically for this at LFS because I need a lot and it would be costly. Or I guess really any epoxy that is reefsafe would work. I will be cycling this tank after I cement it, so there will be a few weeks before any fish are added if that makes a difference. If I remember correctly, concrete effects PH.

Any suggestions? Or other recommendations other than rods because I want to create huge caves and arches, not pillars.

Thanks!

customcolor
04/27/2008, 11:00 PM
aquamend from home depot over by the super glues

JustinReef
04/27/2008, 11:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12422301#post12422301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by customcolor
aquamend from home depot over by the super glues

Great thanks! Is it easy to use? What about cost, is that cheaper than getting some of the LFS type epoxies?

JustinReef
04/28/2008, 08:02 AM
what about an actual cement that is reef safe? Something that can fill little spaces between gaps?

JustinReef
04/28/2008, 10:00 AM
I couldnt find Aquamend but I did find a product called:

Amazing Goop Marine Fix

2 part epoxy

Anyone know if this is safe?

Don't know much about it...

GIJOE007
04/28/2008, 10:05 AM
I would assume from the name its reef safe. Almost all 2 part epoxies are reef safe. Try and google it.

MeuserReef
04/28/2008, 10:19 AM
I have been using this stuff for about 2 years. No problems what-so-ever

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/DSCN2152.jpg

Its $4 / stick @ Wal-mart. Look in the plumbing section.

JustinReef
04/28/2008, 10:29 AM
I have "googled" it but nothing really helps me determine whether its safe or not besides the fact that it seems to be the same as most 2 part marine epoxies. The kinds made for boat repairs and stuff.

I was $4 for 2oz. so about the same price as the one pictured above.

Im sure its fine but if anyone has used it, can you please let me know. I will try to find a picture of the package.

I know some 2 parts have some small amounts of zinc in them but I have not been able to find the ingredients in this product yet. Im kind of worried about something like zinc although I have heard that once cured, its not an issue.