PDA

View Full Version : Todestool troubles

ncwaterboy
04/28/2008, 11:37 AM
I purchase 2 green todestools from a fellow RC member who lives in a neighboring town 2 1/2 weeks ago. One has a disk about the size of a quarter the other a little larger than a silver dollar. Both were in great shape when I picked them up.
They are not opening and I am starting to get a little concerned now. The large one opened the first few days at least partially but has not opened in over a week and a half. The small one has yet to open although there were points were I did see small green bumps on its top. It is now starting to look a little wilted. They say that these things can stay closed for up to several weeks when moved so I was trying not to panic but I am worried now. My water parameters are great except my temp swings from 79 to almost 84 every day. Can't think of what else would be offending them. My phosphate remover is not the aluminum based that irritates softies. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ncwaterboy
04/28/2008, 03:34 PM
WOW, I was in a hurry when I typed this but I didn't realize that I had misspelled toadstool through out. Oh well, can't edit at this point.

Lotus99
04/28/2008, 09:09 PM
You could try moving them into a little more flow. It helps them shed their skin, which they usually get when they close up.

ncwaterboy
04/29/2008, 06:05 AM
Both are in an area of mod/high flow, they do not have a brownish film like they are trying to shed, their disks look whitish grey, same color as their stalks. I did notice that the small one looked liked the polyps were coming out ever so slightly in the middle of the disk yesterday. Initially it was attached to the side of a rock and its stalk bent 90 deg with the disk facing upward. It is now starting to "fall" to the side. It looks odd but I am afraid to move it as it is finally starting to open a little. The large one is developing some smallish dark brown areas at the peripheral edges of its disk.