PDA

View Full Version : Flow concerns for a 180 6x2x2

SRage2
04/28/2008, 03:18 PM
Wanted to run some ideas for my 180 by everyone and see if anyone saw problems.

First off I'm thinking about running a Reeflo Snapper (~2000) for my return pump which would also supply water to a 75 gallon tank by having a T off the return with a ball valve to adjust flow going to the 75. Return from the 75 would be a simple overflow which would feed back into the sump. Do you see any problems keeping everything balanced?

Second issue is with my CL. I was thinking about running a Reeflo Barracuda (~4000gph) out of 1 ½ bulkhead which would go back into the tank and T to outputs on the bottom and top of the tank. I’m Ok with this and don’t see issues. The issue I’m seeing is with the suction from the Barracuda going through a 1 ½ bulkhead. Is the Barracuda going to be restricted pulling that much water through. Will the suction be too much for the fish in the tank? Should I down size the pump and look at may two darts or two snappers.

kcress
04/28/2008, 05:38 PM
In my opinion; Yes! Too much(4000) for an 1-1/2.

kgross
04/28/2008, 07:15 PM
Didn't I respond to this already?

I still say 2000 gph through the sump is to much. As well as the 1.5 inch intake is small, It would work if you upsized the plumbing at the bulkhead, but going to a 2 inch or doing 2 1.5 inch intakes would be a much better solution.

Kim

cloakerpoked
04/28/2008, 07:36 PM
I would split the 4000 gph quite a few times. Not sure what you had in mind, but anything over 500 gph coming out of one nozzle can be awfully powerful, and disruptive to your sand bed, live rock formation, etc. I agree with the above as well...2000 through a sump on a tank that large may be a bit excessive, turning the tank over 6 or 7 times through the sump really should be ok if you're actually using a c/l thereby getting a lot more "new" water into your sump by eliminating dead spots.

SRage2
04/28/2008, 07:38 PM
Kim,
You can post a third time if you want on Utahreefs as well. I'm just looking opinions of different people. Maybe some has something similar and can speak from experience.