PDA

View Full Version : Chaetomorpha and Rowaphos

Chris2500DK
04/29/2008, 06:17 AM
So I've been running a fuge with Chaeto as my main nutrient export and it's going well.

I'm also running a bag of Rowaphos out of the "better safe than sorry" mentality but I'm wondering if this would actually invite problems for me?

I have no measurable nitrates or inorganic phosphates, my concern is that if the Rowaphos sucks up phosphates this means that the Chaeto can't grow to it's full potential as it needs both nitrate and phosphate and then the excess nitrates can feed other algae.

I don't have a lot of other algae growing, but I do see a strand here and there.

Should I lay off the Rowaphos or just keep it in?

Young Frankenstein
04/29/2008, 06:51 AM
Run your Rowaphos, it will eliminate all the hair algae and probably stop the growth of chaeto, with some iron dosing your chaeto will do fine and stay to remove nitrates.

bertoni
04/29/2008, 05:32 PM
Either way might be appropriate. If the phosphate level is zero and you're still measuring nitrate, backing off the RowaPhos a bit might help reduce the nitrate level, but I'm not sure that nitrate is much of a problem.

Chris2500DK
04/29/2008, 09:47 PM
Alright thanks, I'll try that :)

AD87
04/30/2008, 11:31 AM
I use RowaPhos and my cheato is fine. It just doesnt grow as fast.

katz66
05/08/2008, 10:53 AM
i also run rowaphos in a phosban reactor and it has no ill effects on the cheato in my tank.

ROR
05/08/2008, 11:50 AM
When I started running GFO my Chaeto turned white and died, but the same thing happened to the red carpet algae I was fighting :cool: I had to remove little white peices of Chaeto daily, then I finally just took the last little piece out. The Gracilaria I had with in it took over and now fills my fuge.

MCsaxmaster
05/08/2008, 10:00 PM
Well, if you've got low nutrient levels, I'm not sure I see a reason to spend money on GFO. Whatever floats your boat though ;)