PDA

View Full Version : Red Bugs on Blue Tort

skibum9884
04/29/2008, 03:13 PM
I have red-bugs on my Blue Tort, and am trying to find the best way to rid the tank of them. I don't see them on any other SPS, however they would be harder to see on the others as the polyps are much "bushier." I currently have a lineatus wrasse in the tank, however he doesn't seem to be too interested in eating them.

I don't have any inverts in the tank (with the exception of some snails), so what would be the best way to get rid of them?

Also, what is "Interceptor?" Is this helpful in getting rid of them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

snorvich
04/29/2008, 03:49 PM
Interceptor is heart worm medicine for dogs and needs to be prescribed by a vet. As far as I know, it is the only effective way of removing red bugs. There is a sticky on the forum which describes the process.

skibum9884
04/29/2008, 05:30 PM
ok, so i read about the Interceptor online, sounds a little scary, and since my problem is not very bad, are there any other possible treatments or ideas that could work?

the tort still looks great. good color, polyps are fully extended, etc.

kev apsley
04/29/2008, 07:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12435798#post12435798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skibum9884
ok, so i read about the Interceptor online, sounds a little scary, and since my problem is not very bad, are there any other possible treatments or ideas that could work?

the tort still looks great. good color, polyps are fully extended, etc.

there are a lot of people who just leave well enough alone and don't treat for RB's, from what I understand there are a few different types of parasitic copepods that host acropora, some species will harm corals and others just go about their business without harming the coral, while all the time the acro continues to grow and stay colored up. If you plan on trading or selling corals or frags out of your tank then treating with interceptor is imperative imho

Ti
04/29/2008, 11:29 PM
yup some people live with red bugs, but of course some red bugs can b really bad

OnlyCrimson
04/29/2008, 11:57 PM
It's a very easy treatment and honestly I don't think it harms the tank much.

ipiniowa
04/30/2008, 07:39 AM
I just finished with the red bug treatment, and it made a world of difference in the health of my corals. The only real problem I had was the amount of water changes and salt that was used in the process. I have about 275 gallons of total water volume, so with each of the three treatments I was changing 137 gallons of water in a 24 hour period of time.