PDA

View Full Version : Can NOT Quarantine

mksalt
04/29/2008, 07:36 PM
I will be attending a frag swap this weekend. Quarantine for any corals I come home with is NOT an option.

I have heard the recommendation that all new coral should be dipped in something. I've heard fresh RO water as an option. I just picked up a bottle of Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure.

So my question is what would you recommend? Fresh RO? The Tropic Marin? Something else?

Should all types of coral be dipped in something? SPS, LPS, soft, etc? Any that should not be?

Your advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sttaylor
04/29/2008, 08:07 PM
I've used the Tropic Marin before with good results.

Scott

2farNorth
04/29/2008, 08:20 PM
Sprungs 'Revive' is also a good one...

Bradly88
04/29/2008, 09:26 PM
iodine solution is also an option!

Zoa_Princess
04/30/2008, 12:31 AM
I use the tropic marin before I qt , It is great stuff!
Just be extra carefull and look over everything your buying/trading. Don't be afraid to use a magnifying glass to look at your corals when you get home too :)

2farNorth
04/30/2008, 04:51 AM
Remounting them is another option...

mksalt
04/30/2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback all.

So does anyone know of any type of coral or any coral in particular that they would NOT dip in this TM iodine solution before placing in their tank?

sttaylor
04/30/2008, 05:13 PM
Mushrooms/rics/yumas do not like iodine dips, you've been warned! There is also a good zoa dip on the zoanthid forum, fresh water (buffered), lugols iodine, flatworm exit.

Scott

sttaylor
04/30/2008, 05:13 PM
Mushrooms/rics/yumas do not like iodine dips, you've been warned! There is also a good zoa dip on the zoanthid forum, fresh water (buffered), lugols iodine, flatworm exit.

Scott

Ding2daDong
04/30/2008, 08:20 PM
The dip I use seems to be the norm for most people who can't quarantine and have to dip instead.

Zoanthids;

I dip in iodine about 4 drops, and 2 drops of saliferts flatworm exit. I watch what falls off and looks at the coral itselft. Does the coral look healthy? Is their white bumps on the closed polyps? I do this dip for about 30 minutes.

Look for zoanthid eating spiders and nudibranches. Look for small spiral eggs sacks. If you see non of these then it should be fine to place into your aquarium.

Some people dip zoanthids in freshwater after matching temperature which kills everything but the coral. This is a very effective method but most palythoa type zoanthids don't do well for me in the freshwater dips.

Acroporas;

I dip in a mixture of fluke tabs and interceptor. This kills red bugs and stuns montipora eating nudies. I use 1 full fluke tab and 1 small interceptor pill. I let them sit for 1-2 hours and then look for any thing in the bottom of my white bucket. If I see any of those pests I don't add the coral to my tank in fear of getting those pests. You can shake the coral in the water really fast to get off the last few that might be holding on.

Montiporas;

Salifert flat worm exit and 20ish drops of lugols. This is for 20 minutes or so. Look for montipora eating nudies, they are white in color and usually the coral will have a dead patch where they are. Make sure to check under the coral in shaded spots.

Thats basically what I do and still have gotten pests before. Their is not sure way to prevent contamination except for quarantine.

Just remember to never trust anyone! I have bought corals from people with the nicest setups and beautiful corals that had many of these pests.

hth

-Matthew