PDA

View Full Version : Question about H2O

NanoReefWanabe
04/29/2008, 07:56 PM
Obviously RO/DI is the best likely only option for most...
and likewise Tap water is the absolute worst option...

for me i dont have the room for an ro unit let alone a RO/DI unit...

what i have been using is RO from the water depot, they assure me it has a TDS of zero, though i dont have a meter to test it myself...it goes through a softener and UV then the RO membranes..

what the oder of preferred water sources would be?

RO/DI then what?

Distilled? RO? Spring? Tap? Rain?

basically would distilled be better then RO or no?

i never plan on using tap or rain water, and have heard that spring water is just as bad....

bertoni
04/29/2008, 08:01 PM
Distilled water sources seem to be acceptable, in practice, but expensive. RO water usually is okay, although some locations might have some issues. If properly maintained and used with proper pressure, RO will remove 95-98% of contaminants.

Spring and rain water should be avoided. There's no telling what's in them, and rain water can be very nasty. Tap water is safer than either of those two, most likely, but it can be problematic. Water companies have been known to put anti-corrosive treatments into tapwater, and they are generally highly toxic in our tanks.

NanoReefWanabe
04/30/2008, 06:03 AM
thankyou Jonathan,

my water place is pretty good with me, i will see if they can do a couple quick tests for...since non of the kids working there dont really seem to know anymore about water then i do..LOL, hopefully they have been taught how to use the test kits...LOL

i am just trying to figure out where my nutrients are coming from..if not my source water (yet to be determined) then it must be the foods i am using/ quantities of them..

although i only feed once a day..looks like i will be getting different foods...my LFS dosent sell any of the formula 0ne products..other then that i spot feed my LPS and anemones a concoction of frozen foods, mysis brine, cyclops, rotifers, krill...

and just for further clarification it would go...

1. RO/DI
2. Distilled
3. RO
4. tap (treated with prime)

5. RO waste water, Rain, Spring LOL which ever you feel like poisoning your tank with..

thanx for the clarification Jonathan

off topic, i just realized it would be awfully funny if you owned your own welding company...("JB Weld"ing) sorry about that it is early..and i had to stay up to watch the Detroit game..which i passed out before it ended anyway...LOL

bertoni
04/30/2008, 10:10 AM
The feeding is probably the source of the nutrient problem.

NanoReefWanabe
04/30/2008, 07:40 PM
yup i would think so too...it is just so hard looking at their beady little puppy dog eyes and not feeding them...the way they look at me says feed me or i will die...i am completely at your mercy..please help...

i am going to try once every three days and see how that works for a month or so...if i see the fish getting stressed or thin..i will have to up it to every two days...

bertoni
05/01/2008, 08:50 PM
:lol: My clowns are very good at begging. I keep them in a tank with no corals and lots of macroalgae, so I can indulge them.