PDA

View Full Version : Help Help Help Eheim 2229 Wet/dry

ShrimpyLava
04/30/2008, 11:38 AM
I have recently finished setting up a new tank as my biocube 29gallon is getting kinda full and to be perfectly honest with all of you I've fallen in love with the Hobby and i just cant get enough !!!.

My New setup:
40BR
Eheim 2229 Wet/Dry
36" Coralife Lunar Aqualights CF
60lbs of Live rock
40lbs of Argonite crushed coral
200W marineland heater
Koralia 1 powerhead

What I need:
Protein Skimmer (I was thinking of the Berlin turbo XL hang on)
2X Koralia's 1 Powerheads

Now here is my little thread message and question to all you expert reefers. The tank has been running for a week and I recently added the live rock on Sunday. When i purchased the Rock it was in a bucket and it had been in the bucket and remained wet at all time but no water circulation. I tested my water parameters and I noticed the presence of some ammonia and Nitrites(which I'm hoping will cycle soon enough) due to these readings I removed some live rock from my establish 29 gallon Biocube and placed it in the new tank in hopes to help with the ammonia. I'm patient and I'm not in any rush since I would like have the tank up and running the right way. Now one of my main concerns is the Eheim wet/dry filter(which I acquired through craigslist). To the best of my knowledge it working fine as I see the water going in and coming out the only part I'm not too sure about is the center hose which supposedly from what I've been reading brings air into the unit to create the wet dry effect. I dont quite understand how this works since I see water present half way through the hose. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be like that or if it is not working correctly? Is anyone Familiar with this canister???? Your feedback is greatly appreciated Senseis of Reef Aquariums...

I will be posting some pictures later on this afternoon...

Thank you in advance to all of you reading this thread.

bertoni
05/01/2008, 06:07 PM
[welcome]

I suspect the filter is fine, but a picture might help. I don't think the air usually is injected into these setups, so I'm confused about that part.

Reef-Ski
05/02/2008, 06:32 AM
I had an Eheim 2229 on one of my first Salt water tanks.

The breathing tube is used to start the siphon from the main tank into the Eheim canister. Make sure you do not over fill the canister. This might be why you are seing water in the line.

If I remember right the water level in the canister will move up and down exposing the media to "air". This causes a pause in the return to the tank, almost acting like a wakemaker.

If the canister is running in this manner I think it is working properly. If not you might have to much water in the Eheim.