PDA

View Full Version : help me plan for the upgrade

Jasontkd
04/30/2008, 12:25 PM
hey all, I have a 40 breeder (custom drilled) ordered and on the way in a couple weeks. I will be moving the contents of my 29 gallon SPS dominant reef to the 40 to give it more room to grow out.

However, I have never move this amount of SPS to a tank that will be sitting in the same spot as my current tank. what is the best way to move it. i would like to leave the corals in place on the rock if possible (i will be breaking away a lot of encrustation to remove them). I want to do the move over the coarse of a weekend, but don't really know what all to do.

I assume I will drain the tank and place rock and corals in a rubbermaid tub. I would like to use all the tank water if possible. I will then replace the tank and sand bed in with the 40.

How do I accomidate for all the water? Do I make all fresh and match the params? I don't want to cause any undue stress. Can i keep the water from my water changes over the next few weeks? If so, what is the best way to do that and keep it?

Any help and guidence would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Jasontkd
04/30/2008, 12:58 PM
ttt

Moonstream
04/30/2008, 02:17 PM
I would drain tank water into several large bins, placing all rocks with coral in them, then move the rest of the rock into a holding area (wet or dry). after that empty the tank and move it, replacing it with the former tank. replace everything and move corals back (if most of the water is new water it might be a good idea to drip acclimate them). it helps to have EVERYTHING that needs to be washed or scrubbed ready beforehand.