PDA

View Full Version : Via Aqua or TLF

firethefish
04/30/2008, 03:30 PM
I want to start running a Phos Ban reactor on my tank and can't seem to decide between the via aqua pr 20/20 http://www.thereefstop.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=717or the phosban 150 reactor from TLF. Both seem to work by the same principles but the via aqua is about $35 and comes with an adjustable pump. The TLF is a little more $ and I would still have to purchase a pump. I know a lot of you use the TLF 150 and recommend them but is it just a name thing or is it a more superior a product. The tank is 120g. Thanks.

Steve

Conesus_Kid
04/30/2008, 05:11 PM
I'm running the Via Aqua in sump for my tank and it's great. The pump is perfectly sized and it's a plug and play system: No buying the pump or tubing, etc.

I can't say whether or not the reactor body leaks over time, since I am running it in the sump.

HTH

firethefish
04/30/2008, 07:10 PM
I had planned on running it in sump as well, but it's nice to know that you are happy with it. Thanks

kdblove_99
04/30/2008, 07:47 PM
TLF! I really like this reactor and plus with this one you can run 2 inline with each other to run carbon and Phosphate and only use 1 pump

Paul_PSU
04/30/2008, 07:51 PM
I have 2 of the TLF reactors running carbon and Phosar. I love them. I like the idea of the pump being built in to the Via Aqua, but I have been reading several posts on different forums where people had the pumps fail on them and also with the Via Aqua ca reactors. Bad thing there is if the pump fails, you have to replace the whole reactor.

dots
05/01/2008, 01:37 AM
I have had both, hate the TLF with a passion with its leaky POS fittings and top that would leak. The foam had much to be desired. The Via has a lot of convienent options like Eheim style hose connectors, a mesh filter and preformed return. It does come with a pump, but is just a baby Rio? that I ditched, bought another ball valve and hooked both up to a tee valve off the Mag7 retrurn pump. Pump failure does not nessesitate replacement.

However, there is a price difference between the two, but you get it ready to run, vinyl tubing included with the Via, which is my vote. Currently I am running 2 myself.

In the end, not a bad choice with either as many are happy with the TLF.

Paul_PSU
05/01/2008, 04:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12446286#post12446286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dots
I have had both, hate the TLF with a passion with its leaky POS fittings and top that would leak. The foam had much to be desired. The Via has a lot of convienent options like Eheim style hose connectors, a mesh filter and preformed return. It does come with a pump, but is just a baby Rio? that I ditched, bought another ball valve and hooked both up to a tee valve off the Mag7 retrurn pump. Pump failure does not nessesitate replacement.

However, there is a price difference between the two, but you get it ready to run, vinyl tubing included with the Via, which is my vote. Currently I am running 2 myself.

In the end, not a bad choice with either as many are happy with the TLF.

I did not know that you could replace the pump in the Via Aqua unit.. nice to know...:D

I have read about the TLF leaking also. Mine have been leak free. I have had them running for about 3 months so, I'll cross my fingers....:)

ccoral
05/01/2008, 11:48 AM
I run two viaaqua one gfo and carbon. Like how they link together.

Also like the micron filter strainer just in case GFO breaks up

seakwon
05/01/2008, 07:00 PM
How do you know when the media needs to be replaced? can i run a maxi 1200 on the reactor or is that too much?

where is the best place to get the media? $?

Paul_PSU
05/01/2008, 07:12 PM
I have a MJ 1200 running my two reactors. There is a valve on the output to regulate the flow. You just want the GFO to tumble in the reactor. Too much action in the reactor and the GFO will break apart.

I think my flow is around 40-50gph. I replace my media once per month (carbon and GFO).

I use Phosar for the GFO.

You can get GFO and carbon at http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.html

firethefish
05/01/2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the interest. I will probably lean towards the via aqua.

-dots, you say you have 2 hooked up to a mag 7, isn't that a lot of flow to gate back? I would also like to run 2 inline and it so happens that I have a spare mag 7 lying around. Guess I'll give it a try.

-Paul, you get good results with the GFO and carbon?

Paul_PSU
05/02/2008, 03:45 AM
I get excellent results with the them together. Carbon keeps the water nice and clear and the GFO keeps my phosphates at ZERO.

I have both my reactors hanging on the outside of the sump. I am limited with the amount of space in my sump.

firethefish
05/02/2008, 10:13 PM
Paul, which GFO are you using.
Granular, pellet or high capacity.

Which carbon
Lignite or ROX

Thanks
Steve

dots
05/03/2008, 01:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12453479#post12453479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firethefish

-dots, you say you have 2 hooked up to a mag 7, isn't that a lot of flow to gate back? I would also like to run 2 inline and it so happens that I have a spare mag 7 lying around. Guess I'll give it a try.

I have a BB tank, so my plan is to get the detritus moving in the display and have it settle in the lower flow DSB in my sump. Because of this, and that I don't rely on a mechanical filter sock, there is not that great of a need for huge turnover through my

To eliminate as many pumps as possible, I use the Mag 7 for my return pump, which has a tee off of it for my chiller that is dumped back into the sump, and another tee that reduces the hose to 1/2" line where are split off through another tee to the reactors.

Ball valves are used to regulate the flow. Any decrease is redirected because it is an open system.

Paul_PSU
05/03/2008, 03:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12460411#post12460411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firethefish
Paul, which GFO are you using.
Granular, pellet or high capacity.

Which carbon
Lignite or ROX

Thanks
Steve

Steve,
I use the pellet GFO and the regular lignite carbon.
I used the GFO Phosar the first time and then tried the stuff off of bulkreefsupply and got the same results so I just get it off of there. It saves me money on shipping since I also get my 2part solution off of there. I think you will be happy with whatever GFO and carbon you use.

Paul