PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for a really banged up acan?

FishAreFriends2
04/30/2008, 06:19 PM
Well mine still looks bad and I have no idea what to do with it now. I just left it in the shades and it still doesn't it. Doesn't look like its getting worst. As its the same with the skeleton poking through and it remains flat..... I really don't know what to do with it....

belgian_waffleman
04/30/2008, 09:13 PM
keep it away from high flow and high light, it should bounce back in weeks, depending on the extent of the damage.

My tiny acan lost more than half it's skin after a starfish attack for food. after about 3 weeks it's almost fully regrown.

hth

Waffleman

DetectiveTofu
04/30/2008, 10:00 PM
Don't give up on it :)
Have you tried feeding?

FishAreFriends2
05/01/2008, 09:43 AM
that thing it doesn't eat I tried once and it oozed out yellow gold slime so after that I never tried again. I have not seen its feeders come out either. Right now its just sitting on the bottom of the tank with low flow and a rock over it shading most of the light.

When I got the piece it looked good, It was a frag with 3 heads,but it was freshly fragged though. It had some flesh ripped and it wasn't healed but I thought it'd do fine. I put it in my tank near the top (lack of information, gotta do research next time when getting a new coral.) Thats probably what jacked it up? It didn't look to hot so I moved it down to the sand bed, than I read that fish might be irritating it. So than I moved it to the center of the tank. Still didn't look good. Its been showing the skeleton for over a month :( :( :( Pretty jammed atm, and I moved it to a area where not a lot of fish swim. and its been a week so far same. I changed out 20% of my water all my other corals seem to love that opened twice as big but not that thing.

belgian_waffleman
05/01/2008, 10:32 AM
Acans are very resilient.
Make sure it gets some light and as long as you can see some flesh, leave it in the tank.
It will rebound eventually.

Waffleman

FishAreFriends2
05/06/2008, 10:23 AM
I hope so it still looks bad even now, doesn't look like its healing or dieing...

sufunk
05/06/2008, 10:33 AM
Just give it time and leave it be. Pick a low light ,low flow spot and keep it there. Moving it around so much is probably just stressing it out more and delaying it's recovery.

You might want to try taking a late night(after 2am) look at it and see if it has it's feeders out. Even when mine go thru a rough spot, they still usually open up in the midle of the night.

FishAreFriends2
05/06/2008, 10:49 AM
Will check, I haven't moved my acan in weeks its sitting at the bottom of my tank with a rock slightly hanging over it. So it has some shade. It s also a low flow area.

AC11337
05/06/2008, 12:54 PM
LPS corals are pretty good at bouncing back. A little candy frag i bought fell into a hole in the LR once and when i got it out there was no flesh left at all. I threw it in the corner of the tank. (where i keep empty shells,rubble, etc. for shroom fragging) Very slowly, it grew back and is now healthy. It still isn't as nicely colored as it used to be but atleast it made it.