PDA

View Full Version : Plateau in raising Alk?

robojet
04/30/2008, 07:29 PM
Before I start this thread... let me just say I've been an idiot, should have known better, yada, yada, yada...

This is what I had done: I have a 34 gallon all-in-one tank. I normally test with test strips, and supplement that testing with test kits when I think it's necessary. I had SeaChem test kits for Calcium, Mag, and Alk. I have minimal SPS, mostly LPS and softies, 2 Chromis, 2 Clowns, inverts, 2 croceas. I hadn't really liked the SeaChem test kits, as the results always seemed questionable to me either because I thought the results were ridiculous, or did the color really change or whatever. Anyways, I had a small bottle of Kent Calcium and Kent Strontium/Molybdenum laying around, and started dosing my tank (i.e., didn't have a good reason to do this, and wasn't at least using a 2 part balanced solution). I had gotten lazy about testing, but had noticed the test strips were showing undesirable pH and Alk - I chose to be lazy about the results also, blaming the test strips.

Recently one of my clams wasn't looking so good... so I went researching on the web and found "clamsdirect.com" and did a little forum reading. It seems that Alk is a big part of there health. So, I decided to go find some better test kits... I now have Elos test kits for Alk and Calcium. Turns out my Calcium was 425 and Alk was 6. So, again I did my research an followed instructions I found on Reefkeeping for raising Alk. I slowly increased Alk to 7 using Washing Soda. The clam is actually looking better - that really may have been it. Calcium has remained the same.

But here's the question (sorry for all the background):
Because the test kit lacks some precision (results in dKH, not meq/L), I wanted it to achieve an Alk of 8... so I was clearly in a safe range. I've added additional Washing soda trying to raise the Alk (not a lot, just a little more than what was prescribed for the size tank and how much I wanted to raise it based on the article on reefkeeping), and it just doesn't seem to be going up. My understanding is that Calcium and Alk can impact each other... I'm just wondering if there is a chemical balancing reason for the Alk not going any higher (at least without extreme measures)?

TheFishGuy,LLC
04/30/2008, 10:17 PM
This should help you out. http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

robojet
05/01/2008, 09:17 AM
That's a nice webpage... I'll bookmark it. But it doesn't really answer my question. I've been adding washing soda in amounts that should have raised the Alk, but it not working. Hoping there is a explanation that someone could offer for that happening.

littleoldme
05/01/2008, 09:25 AM
Do you have a test kit for magnesium? I have a feeling it is low, if you never dose it, or are using a salt that is low in magnesium. Alkalinity, calcium and magnesium are all interrelated. When your magnesium levels are low you will have problems raising alkalinity.

robojet
05/01/2008, 10:06 AM
I hadn't checked that recently. I will check it. All I have is a SeaChem test kit... but I'll get on that tonight.

bertoni
05/01/2008, 04:18 PM
Many tanks require daily supplementation. I have a tank that will consume 2 dKH or so of alkalinity per day. So you probably just need to dose more. A 2-part like B-Ionic is a safer way to dose, in my opinion. There's a DIY version as well.

robojet
05/01/2008, 04:47 PM
I started using Warner Marine's 2-part today. I do like the DIY limewater option, but I'm not ready yet for that endeavor.

I'm still wondering though about why I hadn't been able to raise the Alk any higher... so I am still planning on checking the magnesium tonight. I really want to understand the dynamics of this.

bertoni
05/01/2008, 07:56 PM
If you want to do some reading, this article is a good place to start:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

robojet
05/02/2008, 05:19 PM
OK... I've been reading... need to study all the material before it will all sink in!

Here's all my parameters as of last night:
pH 7.9
Ca 400
Mg 1125
Alk 7dKH
Ammonia 0
Nitrates .1ppm
Nitrites 0
Salinity 1.026

I think what I'm going to do is get a product to raise the Mg then start a regimen of the 2-part solution (I have Calxmax). When I get everything back in good order, I will probably consider other options that have been recommended, like Randy's 2-part or limewater... I'll need to educate myself on all of that.

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

bertoni
05/02/2008, 05:38 PM
The alkalinity is a bit low, but not enough to cause serious problems. I'd raise it to 1280 or so in two doses. The other numbers are okay.