PDA

View Full Version : Anything except API

Vauche
04/30/2008, 09:31 PM
I'm looking for any test kit that is easier to read and at least as accurate, better if on is available, than the API Saltwater Master Test Kit.
I can't read the darn thing with any amount of confidence in what I'm reading.

OR

Just tell me, do you read the at the miniscus or through the middle of the vial?

Either would be appreciated.

Thanks
Branden

Young Frankenstein
04/30/2008, 09:37 PM
Why dot you try Salifert, I like them. For PH and ORP go electronic American Marin Pinpoint.

Vauche
04/30/2008, 09:41 PM
Was thinking of Salifert but couldn't find any example of their color charts.
The Pinpoint I like and am strongly considering it, already have the salinity and like it.
Thanks for the suggestion!

TheFishGuy,LLC
04/30/2008, 10:11 PM
For Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium the Salifert tests are read by noting a color change not a color comparison. The Nitrate and phosphate tests are color comparison charts but are easy to read if you follow the instructions.

Vauche
04/30/2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks TheFishGuy! I'm thinking I might give them a shot.

Biocubist
04/30/2008, 11:01 PM
API uses the same color change method for Alkalinity and Calcium, that would be the same as Salifert?

Vauche
05/01/2008, 07:19 AM
I'm more worried about the distinction between colors then the actual color change. Also at the moment I don't have the API Alk or Ca. I just have the basic saltwater test. I read that the Salifert are really good so I figured I would give them a try.

Thanks for the info. appreciate it!

Biocubist
05/01/2008, 07:29 AM
NP, I have the API alk, calcium and it works pretty good. Keep in mind that I was use to using a different brand that used a color chart for comparision -- that was difficult, especially when you need to know the exact number. API alkalinity will go from blue to yellow and the Ca will turn from pink to blue. Havent tried the salifert one, but ppl seem to like those kits too -- maybe I will do that one next.