PDA

View Full Version : ROX 0.8 in a reactor or media bag?

reef_doug
04/30/2008, 11:28 PM
I just ordered ROX 0.8. I've never used it before but want to give it a try. Anyone with experiences use it in a Phosoban reactor?

Alternatively should i run it passive in a media bag and lay it in the sump.

Also bulkreefsupply.com say to use 1 TBLS p/ 10gal. Is this a good volume? My 170 net volume would equate to slightly over 1 cup.

I actually plan to use 1/2 cup for a couple weeks and add another 1/2 cup a couple weeks later and change the whole lot monthly.

jansenwrasse
05/01/2008, 05:55 AM
Carbon is pretty much harmless. No real overdose issues.

I personally do not like media bags, the bag itself gets detritus on it and does not allow good water exchange rate. I use a reactor (phosban , kent, etc) and would recommend it :)

bdare
05/01/2008, 06:49 AM
I use Rox in a phosban reactor. I definitely use more than the reccomended dose without any ill effects. I put mine in the same reactor as phosban. It's nice because due to the small size of the rox it floats to the top. I can easily scoop out JUST the carbon for replacement and leave in the phosban which doesnt' expire as quickly.

Boomer
05/01/2008, 01:37 PM
Either is fine but a reactor is better. Bags should be removed 1 /wk and rinsed well and replace the GAC 1 / m. Reactor carbon just replace 1 / m.

kfick
05/01/2008, 04:07 PM
I run mine in a TLF phosban reactor, but I needed to use a finer pore foam. I've got a foam right now that seems ok, but it has to be cut thin so water can make it through :) I'm still trying to find one that works the best. The Rox can clog up the foam that comes with it the TLF unit. It will also make its way out of the reactor and all over your sump.

I run a pretty low flow through (50gph maybe?) it so it wont grind up since it fluidizes easy and is fairly boyant.

reef_doug
05/01/2008, 04:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12450629#post12450629 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kfick
I run mine in a TLF phosban reactor, but I needed to use a finer pore foam. I've got a foam right now that seems ok, but it has to be cut thin so water can make it through :) I'm still trying to find one that works the best. The Rox can clog up the foam that comes with it the TLF unit. It will also make its way out of the reactor and all over your sump.

I run a pretty low flow through (50gph maybe?) it so it wont grind up since it fluidizes easy and is fairly boyant.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. I'm thinking to put the ROX in a mesh bag and stuff it in the reactor evenly around the down flow tube. This is what I do for purigen ontop of the GAC.

kfick
05/01/2008, 04:19 PM
I think you would lose a lot of benefit the small particle size would provide by putting it in a bag. Water comes in contact with every piece in my reactor as it jumbles/floats around in the upflow. Its just a bit more of a pain to keep it where you want to :)

By the way, I use 1/2 a cup on my 90g once a week and it seems to be more than enough.