PDA

View Full Version : New percs! and some q's

Dooly
05/01/2008, 02:24 PM
Hey guys, I'm a new member here, finally decided to join after just lurking the forums :bum:

I had a 30 gallon setup but switched everything over to a new 46 gallon about a month ago. Only fish that is in there is a diamond goby and my 2 new perculas that I purchased yesterday evening.

I was afraid they wouldn't get along, but they seem to be doing okay, one is slightly larger and likes to nip at the smaller one every now and then but they seem to be staying together a majority of the time.

I just have a couple concerns.. this is the first time I've had true percs and have a couple questions..

first, they don't seem to be very strong swimmers and they don't really explore the entire tank, they've only been chilling in one spot since yesterday, the flow in my tank almost blows them away, is this ok?

I have prime reef flake food, spectrum pellet food, and frozen cyclopeez. I've only tried to flake and they didn't really like it, is there a food that you guys recommend or a favorite for perculas? I plan on visiting the local LFS soon..

And the smaller of the two seems like he has some kind of twitch to him, every now and then he twitches his head rapidly while opening and closing his mouth, should I be worried?

and finally, I'd like to get these guys an anemone that will host both of them.. I'd like something that doesn't get too large or aggressive because I'm planning on adding a steady amount of corals to my tank, I'd like some suggestions!

here are a few pictures of the newbs

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/tlxcivic/DSC00809.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/tlxcivic/DSC00814.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/tlxcivic/DSC00817.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/tlxcivic/DSC00818.jpg

chewie
05/01/2008, 02:44 PM
Did you try cyclopeeze yet?

All of my clowns go nuts for it.

Percs usually stay close to a certain spot. As long as they're not hanging around the top 1" of the tank they should be OK. They're not the best swimmers either, but I wouldn't worry about too much flow.

A good beginner Anemone would be any Bubble Tip (Entamacea Quadricolor). They can get big, and walk around the tank but usually stay in 1 spot once they find the right one. Make sure to guard all pump intakes, as the BTA's will find them.

I think you got a good pair, and the twitching from the smaller one sounds normal except for the mouth part. Does he look like he's breathing rapidly?

Other foods to try would be anything meaty. Mine like shrimp, scallop, squid, and mysis. They also get scraps of Nori from my messy Tang, and angels.

Crossing my fingers for your pair to stay healthy.

Dooly
05/01/2008, 03:02 PM
thanks chewie, I'm going to try cyclopeez later today, they both seem to be breathing normally, no rapid breathing, just a slight twitch every now and then from the little one.

I have a 20 gal sump in the works that's going in soon, I hope it doesn't blow them away... lol

petoonia
05/01/2008, 03:17 PM
Sounds like you are on your way to having a mated pair of clowns. The twitching is normal for the male, and it is also normal for the larger one (the female) to boss the little guy around.

My clowns will eat just about anything, so I would just give them some time to settle in. Keep trying different foods to find out what they will like. Mine like emerald entree, spirulina enriched brine, mysis, formula 1 or 2 flakes, or prime reef.

BTW...you have a very nice looking pair of clowns!!!!

Dooly
05/01/2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks petoonia!

I just tried a few pellets and they spit it back out, the female however seems to LOVE cyclopeez, the male.. he only ate maybe 3-5 pcs while the female devoured over 20.. I'm going to try some brine later tonight.. I hope these guys move to the live rock area though.. they just stay on top of my koralia and it makes me nervous.. lol

Dooly
05/02/2008, 04:17 AM
got some mysis today, female ate quite a few and the male didn't eat.. come to think of it, he hasn't really eaten since I put him in 24+ hours

they are still swimming together, female is stronger than ever, but the male just seems to be slowly pushing along.. I was worried because he was just perched on the sand for a bit but he got back up again and is staying near one of the powerheads.

He also seems like hes now breathing more rapidly than the female... I hope he eats tomorrow.. (he did take plenty of craps though even though he hasn't eaten in my tank)

joeyg4583
05/02/2008, 10:22 AM
Was his waste normal looking or was it stringy and white or clear? If it was string and discolored it can be a sign of parasites.

Jovreefer
05/02/2008, 11:14 AM
oh no :( which one is the male the one with more black or less?

Just for personal reference, problem has nothing to do with color.

Dooly
05/02/2008, 03:49 PM
the male is the one with less black..

joey, the waste from the male did look long and stringy, color wise it was a bit light too. if he indeed has parasites, how do i cure him?

I was reading the clownfish FAQ's this morning and all seems ok with my fish, it said that males tend to eat alot less than females, I haven't fed them yet and the male still looks okay, hope he eats today.

joeyg4583
05/02/2008, 09:40 PM
You could try giving him medicated food. If you try soaking it in garlic often it will improve their feeding response. In case he has flukes you can also try a short freshwater dip. If you do that you want to be sure the ph and the temps are even. I think you only leave them in the water like 3 minutes or something but I can't remember for sure. If he is doing well you may not want to give him medication It could cause more stress on his system. It all just kind of depends if he seems to be just not eating cause he's getting use to his new home. (One of my clownfish barely ate for a week after I got her). Good luck I hope he eats today too. Keep us updated with how he is doing.

Dooly
05/03/2008, 04:01 AM
He still didn't eat today. I threw him in my extra 30 tank. I'm going to try some medication for internal parasite tomorrow after i visit the LFS.

Dooly
05/04/2008, 01:36 AM
GAaaaaahhhhh....

looks like the female has parasites too, she stopped eating today.. going to treat them for internal parasites with something called "general cure" since it contains prazi (heard it was good to cure parasites)

Will start treatment tomorrow.. man.. the male hasn't eaten for over 3 days now.. female was eating fine until today..

joeyg4583
05/05/2008, 10:55 PM
Any news? Hope things are going well also what finally got my clown eating was frozen enriched brine shrimp.

OrionN
05/06/2008, 03:55 AM
If you can get live brine shrimp, they will eat it. No fish can ignore live brine shrimp.

Dooly
05/06/2008, 04:07 AM
will look for live brine shrimp or frozen enriched.. joey.. what brand of brine shrimp did you buy?

I put these 2 as well as a 1 inch hippo tang into my 30 gallon hospital tank. been through 2 doses of "general cure" and 2 R/O freshwater dips and 1 formalin dip.. Also added QuickCure to the tank today.

The hippo tang eats great. the 2 clowns on the other hand.. they just spit the food back out..

cmart28
05/06/2008, 07:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12450008#post12450008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chewie
Percs usually stay close to a certain spot. As long as they're not hanging around the top 1" of the tank they should be OK. ally stay in 1 spot once they find the right one.

Why is this a bad sign? I just purchased a pair that are doing this. When I first added them to my QT they went directly into a piece of PVC. They spit some Rod's food out, not certain they actually ate any. When I turned the lights out they both went to the top of the tank and have not moved. I have plenty of flow in the tank so I know they don't need oxygen. I gave them a formalin bath prior to adding them to the QT. Yesterday I added some spriluna enriched brine and they didn't touch it.

chewie
05/06/2008, 07:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12480413#post12480413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmart28
Why is this a bad sign?

They're not getting enough O2.

Not because it's not readily available. Likely it is because their gills are compromised.

Do the gills look flared?

cmart28
05/06/2008, 07:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12480596#post12480596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chewie
They're not getting enough O2.

Not because it's not readily available. Likely it is because their gills are compromised.

Do the gills look flared?

I will have to check when I get home, if that is the case what do you recommend?

Dooly
05/07/2008, 12:41 AM
I have 3 true percs now.. 2 that I am QT'ing in the hospital tank.. and 1 guy that seems perfectly healthy.. although I did give him a R/O dip before I threw him in the DT

He eats GREAT and likes to stay in the back corner all day.. however at night time when all the lights are off.. he stays at the very top in the corner.. (maybe too much flow?) I don't think it's a bad sign in this case.. but I'd like your input..

WDLV
05/07/2008, 09:51 AM
This pic concerns me. Emanciated belly and something hanging out his anus. Probablt afore mentioned paracites.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12449891#post12449891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dooly
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/tlxcivic/DSC00817.jpg