PDA

View Full Version : Substrate Question

whiskey169
05/01/2008, 03:24 PM
I have been out of the reef/saltwater aquarium hobby for approximately 6 years now. I used to follow the hobby and even worked at an aquarium store for 8 years during high school and college.

I am interested in getting back into the hobby and would like to set up a saltwater fish only tank. As an aquarium store employee, we used to tell people to use just enough substrate to cover the bottom of the tank...no more. I am now reading that people suggest 2" - 4" of depth on the substrate. Is that correct? Are there any issues with deep substrate?

Also, what substrate is now recommended? Sand? Aragonite? Live?

Thanks for the help!

StayPuft
05/01/2008, 04:03 PM
There are pros and cons for a deep sandbed. Pro is the reduction of nitrates mostly. Con is that it builds up gases at the bottom and years later those gases can be released and crash your tank. If you do go with a deep sand bed go with 4-5" and do not disturb it by siphoning. If you need to siphon, just do the very top layer. Also no fish that are considered sand sifters.

Personally I think the benefits are not worth the long term risks. I would advise to go with 1-2" of live sand or aragonite mixed with live sand.