PDA

View Full Version : Changing stand: safest way?

eb8919
05/01/2008, 06:20 PM
Well, i just finished making my sump and new stand but am a little worried moving the tank... i kind of have an idea of how im going to do it but im hoping someon can point out any issues i may encounter. It is a 50 gallon long tank with a 4 inch sandbed.

I plan on taking most of the water out (leaving just enough for the sandbed) and putting it in a couple storing tanks along with my fish rock and coral. Once its clear i can simply lift it on and install the sump. Once its all ready to go i want to add more rock and then return all my Livestock.

My main concerns are this:
Will the bottom of my tank be able to support the sandbed and little bit of water being lifted?
Will my livestock suffer a ton of stress being moved around to much?
Will the additional live rock spike a new cycle (my lfs has been curing it for quite sometime and i hope to pick it up soon)?

If anyone can share there experiences , thoughts , or maybe point out any problems it would be greatly appreciated.

Playa-1
05/01/2008, 06:38 PM
You should be ok if your very careful to keep in steady and level as it's lifted. But there are no guarantees.

The live rock or disturbing an established sand bed could potentially start a mini cycle. It will be stressful on the livestock but it should be doable.

bertoni
05/01/2008, 06:41 PM
I would remove everything from the tank, including the sand, especially if the tank were glass.

The new live rock and the move both might cause some cycling effects. I would have some Amquel and water for changes on hand.

Toddrtrex
05/01/2008, 08:11 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the bottom glass already supporting the sand ( along with the water and rocks ). I know that with my 3 tanks, the trim around the bottom of the tank is the only thing that come in contact with the stand, so there is nothing under the glass added support.

eb8919
05/01/2008, 08:27 PM
Ya thats what i was thinking to, but someone told me lifting it would cause additional pressure?

Toddrtrex
05/01/2008, 08:30 PM
They might be right.

And I am not telling you what to do, but...

When I moved 2 years ago, I moved my 75 and 58 with the sandbed in the tank.

bertoni
05/01/2008, 08:39 PM
Lifting a tank will cause additional stress in directions that the tank doesn't get stressed when sitting on a stand. Don't lift the tank with anything in it.

HornetMech242
05/01/2008, 10:48 PM
I agree. If someone does not lift one of the corners evenly you will put a twisting force on the bottom glass and can cause cracking.

Chris

Playa-1
05/01/2008, 10:58 PM
I'm not recommending that you do it, But I have done it successfully in the past without any bad repercussions. But like I said there are no guarantees. You just have to decide If you can live with the worst that can happen should you decide to take that short-cut.