PDA

View Full Version : Placement of flow restrictor

newty
05/01/2008, 07:08 PM
I am replacing my 100 GPH RO membrane on my Aquasafe RO/DI filtration system. I recently bought a 75 GPD RO membrane and was told I need to place a flow restrictor into my system. So, I recieved a capillary flow restrictor similar to what is shown halfway through the website: http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=109&Sub=0

I do not know exactly where to place the capillary flow restrictor. I was hoping that someone could chime in as to where to place the restrictor. I believe that I should place it where the waste water exits the RO stage, but I am unsure.

In my attached picture, I have labelled the connections 1 to 12 where:

unlabelled: TAP water enters the prefilter chambers
12 to 9 to 7 to 3: Water from the 3 prefilters enters the RO chamber
5 to 11: waste water enters the ball valve (I think that this contraption might be a flow restrictor as well)
10: Waste water goes down the drain
4 to 8 to 6 to 1: Clean water enters the DI chamber
2: Clean water from DI chamber exits the system.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/58673aquasafe_pic2.jpg

Thanks, Shawn

Colin
05/02/2008, 06:28 AM
The piece that is between 10 and 11 is your current restrictor. You need to take it out and put the new one in that line. I've not used the capillary type, so I'm not much help there. :(

--Colin

newty
05/02/2008, 06:22 PM
I took the restrictor apart and did not find anything inside it except for a ball balve where the water flow can be manipulated. As you said, I think I can just remove the restrictor. So, my thinking isthat I can simply remove the current restrictor and place the new capillary restrictor at connection #5.

Shawn

Cove Beach
05/02/2008, 07:58 PM
The capillary restrictor goes in the end of the line that plugs into the input of the whole system. At least thats how its placed on my Spectrapure system. The capillary tube needs to be cut to a specific length that is called out in a chart that the membrane manufacturer provides. If you go to the Spectrapure sponsor link on RC you can see the proceedure they use to arrive at the correct length.