PDA

View Full Version : Yellow coris vs sixline

matt11390
05/02/2008, 06:51 PM
I have a 55g and am wanting a wrasse. But I would like your opinions concerning the pros/cons about adding a yellow coris wrasse or a sixline wrasse. My stock list already is one percula, orange tail damsel, orchid dotty, and a flame angel. I know the sixline is aggressive but I think my stock list is aggressive enough to handle a sixline. Also, will a yellow coris eat the worms and other unwanted critters like a sixline?

200mfromocean
05/02/2008, 07:00 PM
I recently added a sixline without insident after a month. He swims all over the place and just goes about his business. I heard mixed results on them as well. Do ya feel lucky(Joke)?

GS Maroon Clown 4.5"
2 Firefish 2-3"
Yellow Tang 5"
Blue Green damsel 1 "
Sixline 1-1.5"

raleej337
05/02/2008, 07:37 PM
I used to have a six line wrasse and yellow coris wrasse in my 28gal for a year and they co-exist without any problem. When I upgraded to 90gal, the sixline started to bully the yellow once in a while. Both are very active swimmer.

vanmo92
05/02/2008, 08:35 PM
I have had both, but only had the corris for a week or 2 before the 6-line promptly dealt with him. I love the look of both, If you want a brightly colored fish, go with the corris, if you want a personable fish that is very active and has neat eyes (my favorite trait), then definitely do with the 6-line.

lowendmelody
05/03/2008, 01:09 PM
sixlines can been mean little fish. I've had 3 and they have all been pretty mean and aggressive once establishing themselves. Particularly towards other fish who they would have to share the rockwork with. I wont get anymore. However I had a yellow for a while until I went barebottom(they hide and sleep in the sandbed) and he was a friendly, active, hardy fish. He was sweet. If I get sand again, I will get another. my 2 cents...

billet-o-fish
05/03/2008, 04:45 PM
Never had any luck mixing any lined wrasse with any flasher/fairy. The lined wrasses are just a little to aggressive. Sure, Ive had some success, but its never been long term, I swear that lined wrasses get PMS because their mood changes all the time as they age. If your tank is BB obviously it rules out lined wrasses, so stick to fairies or flashers. If it were me and I had sand, id go for a couple of flashers....brilliant colours and great personality.

matt11390
05/04/2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. My head tells me to get a yellow coris but my heart tells me to get a sixline. I guess I have always wanted a sixline but am afraid of their reputation for being too aggressive. I do feel that the fish I have are strong enough to get along with a sixline but I am just too timid to get one. Maybe I will go with a yellow coris for now.

toaster77
05/04/2008, 05:43 PM
my sixline is well-behaved except for bedtime, he chases away the chromis that likes to get near his sleeping spot in the rocks. otherwise, i love it - they have interesting personaliteis, active swimmers, and as pointed out their eyes are very cool.

melanotaenia
05/04/2008, 08:07 PM
I hated my sixline; meanest wrasse I ever had; I actually had to get rid of him after he basically killed my goby; I now have a Mystery Wrasse and have no problems with aggression; I would suggest the Coris, unless you want to deal with aggression problems down the road (possibly). Some will say the sixline is a tossup, as some have been model citizens, wherease others, like mine, were pure devils

buzzbombtom
05/05/2008, 12:24 AM
six lines are the worst way to spend 20 bucks if there are any hopes of other wrasses lol... i went through a few wrasses before i saw why there were all not making it, i was a nubbin at the time, but in all honesty the ones that get shipped to my neck of the woods tend to be pests, in the last month i think 3 or 4 six lines got the boot out of established wrasse tanks. IMHO a 20 $ fish that kills 120$ fish is a no go.

Reef-Ski
05/05/2008, 05:53 AM
Can't speak for the Yellow Coris but the sixline I had was a terror.

The sixline would pick on everything in the tank; I was starting to see the fins of some of my other fish being damaged so I took him out.

On the other hand my brother in law has one that has been great for just about two years now. I actually have seen the sixline cleaning other fish, which seemed strange. He just got lucky with his I guess.

Bottom line is you never know until you try, but the general consensus is to avoid them from what I have read.

tankjunky
05/05/2008, 03:04 PM
Also I dont know anything about the Yellow Coris but my six line is very active and my favorite fish. been in the tank for a couple of months and when i add a new fish the six line does nothing. the only problem i have with it is it charges my clown every couple of days and when my angel tries picking on him he defends himself. So i think it is a good fish to have.